Advice needed

Kinda putting the cart before the horse. You need to see what kind of accuracy you get out of them. They may shoot a 4 inch group at 100 yards and all your worries were for the wrong reason. If they shoot well, then I agree with others. I'd take one well placed shot over a choice of bullets any day.

Kinda putting the cart before the horse. You need to see what kind of accuracy you get out of them. They may shoot a 4 inch group at 100 yards and all your worries were for the wrong reason. If they shoot well, then I agree with others. I'd take one well placed shot over a choice of bullets any day.
Yeah I agree with you and that was part of my argument to my friend

So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I'm going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I'm just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What's your experience?
My brother and his son both shoot 7STW rifles. They have only shot 140 grain bullets since they got them. Try though I might I never have been able to convince them to use heavier bullets. Brother gets 3415 with accubonds and H1000, nephew has a model 70 from the old custom shop, and has to seat a little deeper, as well as a shorter barrel, so he gets 3345 with the same load, and shoots A-frames. They have hunted with these for 20 years and killed antelope to elk, almost all 1 shot kills. Brother bought his Sako used, and rebarreled to a 28" McGowen last year. It has numerous 3 shot groups just over an inch at 300 Meters

I killed my first bull elk with a 140 gr. Barnes out of a 7mm Rem Mag. There are stability calculators online, but I doubt that will be an issue. I shoot 120 gr. bullets out of my 7-30 Waters with 1:9 twist. I killed 4 aoudads with that rifle.

With all that said, I now shoot 168 Bergers out of my 7mm WSM. One bullet does it all, from javelina to elk.

I killed my first bull elk with a 140 gr. Barnes out of a 7mm Rem Mag. There are stability calculators online, but I doubt that will be an issue. I shoot 120 gr. bullets out of my 7-30 Waters with 1:9 twist. I killed 4 aoudads with that rifle.

With all that said, I now shoot 168 Bergers out of my 7mm WSM. One bullet does it all, from javelina to elk.
I haven't checked lately at new offerings but a 1:9 twist will stabilize just about any 7mm bullet. Some of the really heavy for caliber bullets that have come on the scene in the last few years might be better with a 1:8.5 or 1:8 but unless you're shooting at the extrema long range end of what the big case 7mm are capable of range wise it's not going to be an issue.

The only thing I might add would be you are going to where there are "things" that go bump in the night. A heavier bullet can do more damage to said critter than a lighter one. Which range are you hunting? Like others have said , it does not take much to kill a sheep. 7mm-o8 is a great round to sheep hunt with, a 28 nozler does it better...Good luck and be in great shape. 2500 feet climbs everyday are fun!!!

But you will need to acquire a lot

But you will need to acquire a lot more rounds for practice. Better get to work on THAT.
I have 200 and am looking to get another 200 of another brand. Between the two that would be about half the life expectancy of a 28 nosler. So I'm hoping that will be enough and then the other brand will be back up in case it doesn't like the 150 grain and then I can always sell or give to someone the one it doesn't like.

Good information here as always. Shoot first and see what they do. The good thing is, you have plenty of time to have fun with it and get it right. Just so you know, I'm jealous of you! Good luck!!

Recent Posts