87g Speer TNT

remingtonman_25_06

I recently picked up another 25-06 rem, this one being an older Rem 700 BDL wood/blued w/24" bbl. I got it used and have only tried 100g and 117g gamekings w/IMR-4350 and IMR-7828, the best I've gotten at 100 yards is .8". I think the rifle can do better and I really haven't gotten to extensive in my testing yet.. I have an older style Leupold vari-x2, 3-9x40 with the elevation target knob. It gets me out to 800 yards, but I like a little more magnification. It will have to work for now...I have only shot it out to 400 yards, but I was 6-6 on my 10" gong the last outing with the 117g SBT/IMR-7828 load.

This rifle has probly been through some use by the way it looks stock wise, but I intend to use it as a truck rifle for coyotes. I haven't ever tried the 87g TNT HP, but the BC (.310) isn't that bad compared to the 85g NBT (.331), and there a heck of a lot cheaper, about $5 less per 100. I should get a little more explosiveness out of the TNT as well, its got a pretty nice size hollow point. They say not to be pushed harder then 3600fps. I"m hoping for 3400-3500fps with good accuracy.

Anyways, just looking to see if anyone uses this bullet for coyotes and what the results were like? Also what kinda loads did you use??

Thanks for the info guys..

I haven't connected with a coyote yet with the 87 speer tnt. But I have shot rockchucks and clay pigeons out to 850 yards. I am shooting them slightly faster than a 25-06, with my ackly improved. My load is (ackley improved 25-06) 57 grains of IMR-4350,CCI-BR primer shooting at 3600 fps.
They are suprisingly accurate at long range, being a flat based bullet. I can even push them faster than 3600 but accuracy falls off. Speer says some barrels (depending on smoothness) can shoot them faster than 3600. My friend shoots his .243 ackly with 70 tnts at 3700, if I remember right.
Anything further than 850 yards I shoot the Sierra matchkings. I went out today at Mt. Emily, just after mile post 17 on Summit road,theres a place I can shoot literally thousands of yards. When theres no wind its pretty easy to connect on 1' rocks with this bullet at 1100 yards. Its so fun I've been doing it all weekend.
P.S. You can order Speer TnT bullets through Bi-Marts sporting goods, without shipping and handling.

Those bullets are awesome on coyotes... fur friendly? I think not!! I've shot a few coyotes with them and there were always chunks flyin'. If you're looking to save a pelt... this is not the bullet. If'n you're looking to turn a coyote into a puzzle... the 87 TNT is your huckelberry. They shot pretty well out of my .25-06 AI too... although I never did shoot anything with that combo. ~JT

I like the idea of the bulk pack tnt bullets.

Very good deal if'n your rifle likes them ,being a flatbase they're probably good in 90% of rifles.

I plan on trying them myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.