Speer TNT .257 Performance?

skip AI

How do the Speer TNT's in .257 hold up when used at .25-06 AI velocity's?
Are they more explosive then the Nosler BT or Hornady V-max?
So far I have found the Nosler BT to not be as explosive as the V-max.
Also what do the Berger VLD's perform like as a varmint bullet?

cheers

In my testing with this bullet I would say they are measureably more explosive then any of the bullets you listed but I have found that they would not run with them accuracy wise. Not sure why but I think its because of the relatively short baring surface with the long nose and a center of gravity issue. I have noticed this with most TNT bullets in differnt calibers. Not to say they will not shoot because they generally shoot fine but the Ballistic Tips and V-Max bullets will generally hold toghter groups on average.

The Ballistic tip has a MUCH thicker jacket then the V-Max and that is why the V-Max comes apart dramatically more violently then the B-Tips. For lighter game, the V-Max would be best, for heavier Varmints, I like the deeper penetration of the B-tips.

The Bergers will not perform well as a varmint bullet if you want dramatic POPS!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for that fifty, I noticed that I have not seen a .17 HMR that shot them well either!

I may give them a go anyway, we will see.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.