Anyone use Speer TNT hollow points?

243yote

I am trying a new bullet for yotes. I am going to try Speer TNTs. Anyone use these before. I was using ballistic tips before exclusively but got tired of having a live animal when i went to retreive the yote. Ballistic tips are good if you get heart shots all the time but if you are off they just explode. My friend uses them all the time and he is not the best shot and seems to use alot of ammo to put down a yote! Lucky for him, he carries and AR with a 20 rnd mag. I also noticed this with my .243. So i am trying something new this year. Any info would help for those of you who have used this bullet on yotes. I am going to use 70 gr Speer TNTs. Also would it better if i just went to a heavier bullet?:)

i used 308 tnt's and they didn't expand at all ? it may have been a lack of velocity due to my 20" barrel but they should have been doing at least 2900 ? I get 3000 out of a 110 vmax and they are like a 'life' switch on foxes !

I used the .257 TNTs for my woodchuck hunt this year - they ARE very accurate - I had to weigh out 400 to get 200 that were exactly alike, but they flew well.

As for expansion, I much prefer the expansion I got with the Sierra 90 grain HPBT, to be honest.

But the TNT flew well out to 600, and very consistant.

My son was an employee of the Dept. of Ag. for a number of years doing predator control work, primarily on coyotes in sheep country. He referred to a .243, using 70 TNT's as 'No Flop" medicine, compared to 22-250's. He only used the 22-250 because of the lower noise factor, as well as lower recoil.

I have blasted a bunch of woochuck with the 50g TNT in my 222 rem. Very accurate too. It really tears them up. I might try the 55g uin my 22-250, I just got it so I need to start the load development process.

Mike

i use the 55gr tnt in my 22-250,they shoot good and hit hard.never had a problems.i use 39.2gr h380 and the tnt for yotes.you may want to try the sierras too,they have done me good:)

I am trying a new bullet for yotes. I am going to try Speer TNTs. Anyone use these before. I was using ballistic tips before exclusively but got tired of having a live animal when i went to retreive the yote. Ballistic tips are good if you get heart shots all the time but if you are off they just explode. My friend uses them all the time and he is not the best shot and seems to use alot of ammo to put down a yote! Lucky for him, he carries and AR with a 20 rnd mag. I also noticed this with my .243. So i am trying something new this year. Any info would help for those of you who have used this bullet on yotes. I am going to use 70 gr Speer TNTs. Also would it better if i just went to a heavier bullet?:)
I'm a 30 caliber type guy and I am using the 110gr HPs part# 1835. They kick butt!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.