7mm mag elk bullet

Barnes TSX or Tipped TSX (if longer than 400 yds) I love barnes bullets, you can go with a lesser grain ( I think barnes tops at 140g for 7mm) because they keep 99% of their weight. If memory serves the BC on the TSX is outstanding and I believe the tipped TSX was even a little better than that.

I was a Barnes user too . I just never saw on game results that I expected . I did recover one bullet , it is a 160 TSX , 7mm . I know any bullet can have a bad day , but this bullet never hit a bone . it sure didn't retain 99% of it's weight . Jim

P41702002.jpg

how does this A-max hold up on close shots , say closer than 150 yards ? thanks Jim

I wouldn't recommend it at that range. They are a thin jacket and ballistic tip which further increases quick expansion. If you do use them, stay away from a shoulder shot. For the same reasons I've already mentioned, they make a good long range bullet....Rich

Berger 7mm 168gr match hunting VLD with a B.C of 0.617 might be my pick for hard shooting 7mm Mags.

Good luck on drawing the tag, and on your hunt!

A 175 gr Nosler Partition is what I used on my 6x6 Wyoming bull several years ago. Worked well, loaded to nearly 2900 fps. In, tore everything loose inside, and exited with about a quarter-size wound on the opposite side.

A 160 Partition or Accubond would inspire confidence as well.

Guy

I would give the 154 grain interbond a try. It has a .525 BC and 90% weight retention. They make large mushrooms and still maintain retained weight better than the Accubond or partition.

I have used the 165 grain 30 cal interbond and they passed thru 3 out of 5 hits. The recovered bullets were 154 and 137 grains with large mushrooms. They both took out both front shoulders and were under the far side hide when recovered.

if your hunting the west you will probably be shooting in the wind.try the berger 168vld i have had great success with it rtumbo powder.good shootinggun)

well first of all where are you hunting. if its the west (wyo. mt. etc.) figure the wind could be a problem. I live and hunt wyo. shoot a 7 mag. or 300 win.mag the 168 berger for the 7 and 190 berger for the 300 most shots are 300 plus yds. or longer as a general rule.but last year was only 125 yds. good shooting and bullet placement for whatever you shootgun)

I would use the 160 grn Nosler Accubond. I shot an elk last year at less than 50 yards, one shot, a few steps and he was down for the count. Complete pass through just behind the shoulder.

Today I shot that same load at 200 yards and shot a 1.149" group with a good wind. I think that bullet will do everything that you want and would not have to worry about it holding together or not.

Corey

I have seen the 160gr Accubond shot out of a 7mm mag blow through a cow elk at 75 yards and left a good blood trail she was dead on her feet but he shot her again and she went right down. Both shots exited and I could see the blood pouring out the side from the first shot. I would go with the 160 Accubond and try H-4831, Win Brass, and a Federal 215 Primer this combo produces 1/2 MOA out of the Factory Rem 7mm mag I have which was the same Rifle that killed the Elk.

ive had three accu bonds fail to open at 600 pluss yds not at the same hunt .ill stick with my bergers goo shootinggun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts