7mm mag elk bullet

The 175 Sierra is the bullet I did all my 7mm long range work with in the 70's out of a 7mm-300 wby. It performed well at long range but never shot anything close with it. From the animals I have seen shot with it I agree it is a good elk bullet. Also very accurate in all my rifles. Longest shot was an elk about 1100 yards.

I would like to shoot the 175gr match king but it wouldn't hold up on elk short range. there are a lot of good looking 7mm bullets out there with nice looking tips and big coef numbers but most all of them that you would look at for long range don't hold up to good under 100 yards if you are push them very fast.
(over 3200 fps for sure).

I would like to shoot the 175gr match king but it wouldn't hold up on elk short range. there are a lot of good looking 7mm bullets out there with nice looking tips and big coef numbers but most all of them that you would look at for long range don't hold up to good under 100 yards if you are push them very fast.
(over 3200 fps for sure).

Well put!......Rich

? assume your shooting a 338 ?. ihaven,t tried the new barnes yet but hear they do o.k in the wind and will work down to 1600 fps?as far as opening up .?good luck might try slowing down the bullet a bit gun)1300meters

Well as elmer keith said the ideal elk bullet would be the camp stove at 3200fps.1300metersgun)

I do shoot a 338 but also shoot a 7mm, the cartridge I am shooting runs around 3200 fps at the bottom charges and would not be very consistent loading it there. just wanting to put my 2 cents in about the sierra spbt gameking. I think it is one of the best 7mm bullets currently available if you are looking to lay down a big elk with a faster cartridge.

On elk accuracy is realtive. An elk has a kill zone of at least 18" most rifles will meet that easily. Same with BC, little difference, except in really long distances. I killed my first elk in 1961 with a 180 gr. Nosler Partition, I have been around over 100 elk, killed with that same bullet. I shoot them because they work, the same way every time.

On elk accuracy is realtive. An elk has a kill zone of at least 18" most rifles will meet that easily. Same with BC, little difference, except in really long distances. I killed my first elk in 1961 with a 180 gr. Nosler Partition, I have been around over 100 elk, killed with that same bullet. I shoot them because they work, the same way every time.

I agree with your assessment 100%. Except at the really long range shots, the Nosler partition "was and is" one of the best and most predictable bullets around! They expand very well, cause a lot of damage, and invariably retain about 60% of there weight giving good penetration. I killed a bunch of bulls with a 140 6.5 out to 600 yards while using them.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.