338 Win Mag Cow Elk Bullet?

RevJim -
My .338WM pushes 225g Nosler AB to 2760fps with a 22" barrel and 70.0g H100V. Hammered a couple of cows with that load, at 262yards and 487 yards.

The cow at 262 kept walking, although haltingly, and I dropped a second AB right beside the first one (one elongated hole under the hide). She went down instantly at the second shot and Im convinced it really wasn't necessary.

Then one at 487 yards walked a ways (25 yards-ish) before dropping.

The lungs on both were ruined. I've also dropped elk instantly with a 150g AB from a .30-06, so I don't have any trouble recommending them.

With regard to Barnes, I've used XLCs with very inconsistent results and quit using them. Although TSX shot well on the rifles in which I tried them, I couldn't bring myself to use them on game. When the MRX (first tipped X) came out I tried them (180g in a .300WM) and was very happy with them. One cow at 400 yards swapped ends, took a couple steps, turned uphill and took a couple more steps, then dropped.

Since the my group has used TTSX and LRX extensively for antelope and deer, from 100g TTSX in my .257 Roberts to 175g LRX and 180g TTSX in my .300 WM. I've put two lengthwise through mule deer. Results have been a bit over 50% instant, straight-down DRT with none going very far (a doe antelope made it the furthest, maybe 20 yards after getting hit a bit too far back with a 100g TTSX). I don't have any problems recommending TTSX and LRX, either.

The main thing is to find an accurate load and learn how to shoot it. If you can keep them in a pie plate at whatever range, you're good to go for elk.

I've used a 338 win for over 15 years of hunting, shooting everything from coyotes to moose. My personal experience in load data and bullet performance on game I believe the 225 grain is the best performance bullet weight for the win mag. Not only does it perform better at longer ranges than a 210 ballistically, it is also better than a 250gr past 500 yards. I've shot nosler, hornady, barns, burger, and Sierra bullets. All are very accurate with the correct load. My personal belief is the accubond is probably my favorite bullet to run. Followed by Hornady. The barns would be 3rd. My criteria for a bullet is accuracy, weight retention, and shock. For me the accubond performed the best out of all of them. The worst in my opinion that I have personally used on harvesting game was the Berger. Not saying the berger did not shot accurately which it did, was not impressed with performance on game in regards to bullet retention, penetration, and overall knock down performance. (I've shot multiple elk, deer and bears with burgers, not impressed myself to the point of I will not hunt with them). Do they kill everything I've shot absolutely, but they have not performed as well as other mentioned above. Happy hunting and good luck, lots to chose from out there find what works for you and your rifle.

Okay, here is my two cents worth of my very biased opinion. I have been hunting elk for over thirty years, not that it makes me an expert. I started with 180 grain SGK and was never unhappy with the results until I did the necropsy on the elk. Not a complete exam, just bullet placement and damage. More than ninety per cent of the time I would find an empty cup with no lead under or almost under the off side of the shot. Where did the lead go? It was distributed throughout the body of the dead elk. For many years I never gave that lead a thought and severely criticized anyone that said it was dangerous. I am not sure how much of a problem it is but at my age I need all the help I can get and I believe that ingesting ANY lead can't be good for my or anyone else's health.
Used a 300 WM, 300 RUM before building my 338 Edge. Starting about twenty years ago, I became a believer in the two drain hole theory. Tracking an animal not well hit would and was easier if it is losing copious amounts of heart oil. Started using Barnes bullets with great success. When I first started loading the Barnes X bullet I was OK with less than stellar accuracy. I didn't get the accuracy of the Sierra Gameking but it was completely accurate compared to the other bullet that I tried to use, Nosler Parition. Because of my early failures trying to make the Nosler shoot, I have no use for the Nosler bullet. In the meantime Barnes came with the TTSX. I now shoot the 280 grain LRX bullet in my 338 Edge at around 2800-2900 fps using H 1000. This load has produced a .375 group at 100 yards on a consistent basis. I shoot 175 grain LRX in my thirty caliber rifles, 30-06, 300 WM and 300 RUM when I hunt elk. The last six or seven elk that I have shot with the 338 Edge have all been DRT with a through and through wound channel. I have not recovered a 338 bullet from any of the elk I shot with that cartridge.
I do not believe I lose any more or less meat using that bullet than when I was using my 30-06. What I am sure of is that if I do my part I don't worry about what is going to happen at the terminal end of the bullets flight. As I add years to my life I have less ability to chase elk that don't drop in their tracks. I won't all of my shots have resulted in my hunting life have resulted in no tracking but my more recent hunting has been shoot, bang, flop.

I like the accuracy of Bergers, and have had good success with them. My hunting buddy and I have both killed mule deer and cow over the last 2 years with Bergers. That said, I will only take good clean vitals area shots with them. I wont shoot shoulders with them. Because of this lack or confidence in the shoulder hits, I have been exploring Barnes TTSX, and toying with the idea of Accubonds.

We are shooting 6.5 caliber though. With the added mass of the 338, shoulder shots with Bergers would be less concerning for me.

Here is my two cents worth.. I shoot a Ruger No. 1. It has a 26 inch barrel and using a 210 grain Nosler partition. Getting very good velocity. Handloads only, kills like lightning. Elk, bear, all is dead.

I have never taken an elk, (my Holy grail) but many moose and deer. I have two .338's and believe hunters who have used it take game in real hunting situations. I will post some pics from an article by Glen D. Summers (1998) which echoes your point of view and the main reason I have two 338's.
25412097-1618-4D2C-9D28-7CF4E5C787E6.jpeg
DBB841E6-917C-40B7-8D4F-A3776F733A43.jpeg
D8C9944A-B4EC-4866-ACC1-B761C640ED38.jpeg
25412097-1618-4D2C-9D28-7CF4E5C787E6.jpeg
DBB841E6-917C-40B7-8D4F-A3776F733A43.jpeg
D8C9944A-B4EC-4866-ACC1-B761C640ED38.jpeg

.338 WM...all you will ever need. But sure there are other .338 if you like. I have 2 also...Model 70 stainless, and Howa semi custom. Win is 3/8 inch with 225 gr and Howa is at 7/8". Maybe not match grade but for sure hunting grade and works quite well...

My wife's "only" hunting rifle since 1996.... SS, Win. Model 70, .338 WM, 225's @2950! 3 shot groups @ 2 to 2 1/2" @ 300. She's been very successful with it on antelope to moose, from inside of 30 yards to 400+, from fairly dense timber to open prairie! And, if my rifle quits on me, her's is a good backup.....though a little short in the stock! memtb

Last edited:
I'm going to have to go next year, my hip surgery took more of everything than I figured on, ha. To take as a second rifle ( I always like to take two instead of just an extra scope, gun tools, etc.) I ordered a little Mod 77 compact 338 RCM. They tell me its about like a 338/06. Should be fine for toodling in the timber/edges. I'll put a smaller scope on it, i.e 2x7, ( I have a trusted Burris FFII 3x9, its only 13oz) and starting out I have a bunch of those older Nosler 200 BT. However, I will still work up a load for the 185 TTSX. I can also get to 2400 with the Nosler 250 AB! ha Lots of options. :)

Rev Jim, so, sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you. Our hunting seasons have taken a backseat to other things as well. Getting older can add many variables to life! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.