cow elk

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by lif2fsh, Aug 13, 2011.

1. lif2fsh

lif2fsh Member

Ok we all have a pretty good idea on what to look for when we hunt bull elk but what about a cow elk... big,little, pretty or shoot the ugly one?

2. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

Nothing taste better than a young, dry(no calf at her side) cow elk.

3. T3-OleMan

T3-OleMan Well-Known Member

If hunting SOLO, when possible, shoot the small one .:)

4. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Down hill from the truck a calf will do nice :D Seriously, usually the slick perty looking cows are young and lack in poundage and are good breeding stock, I look for the cow that looks rougher, head looks big and rough, body usually seems boxier than the younger cows and I try to watch long enough to pick out a dry cow. These are the older cows and you can at close to 50lbs more meat over a young cow and they are soooooo good eating but drag like a battle ship anchor!!

5. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

My favorite part about cow hunts is that you don't have to hold out for a bigger rack you can just shoot the first one you want to :) I usually try and find them a little closer to the road then the bulls so I don't have to haul them out quite as far. A calf or a dry cow (depending on how much meat you want or where you find the elk) will be your best bet. Good Luck!

6. lif2fsh

lif2fsh Member

Thanks guys thats what i was looking 4.

7. newmexkid

newmexkid Well-Known Member

For many years I would always try to shoot the lead cow because she was most times the biggest. One year I shot a smaller cow. I can still smell the elk stew and corn bread!!!