700-1200yrd Rifle ?

huntinco

User
I'm would like to do a long range segment in the DVD series I produce, I just started looking at different calibers that can get the job done on big game at 700-1200 yards using a pack-able rifle. I own a 50 cal that I have taken cow elk and a coyote at 1000+ but as you know this is not a pack-able rifle by any means. So far I have looked at 7mm rem ultra mag and a .338 lapua any additional suggestions on caliber, action type, barrel, gun builder, and optics would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

I would look at some sort of .338 w/300g SMK at 2900fps or faster.

The low end you'll have a 338 EDGE, which is a 300 RUM necked up to .338. Put a 30" tube on it, and you have a packable firearm that can sling a 300g bullet at 2900fps.

That will get you what you want for killing power to 1200 yards. You can shoot rocks and targets to 1500 yards.

My dad and I are having one of these built as I type this. SHould be interesting.

I'm using a Rem 700 accurized action, factory LSS stock, factory trigger down to 2 lbs, stainless/fluted 30" HART bbl w/defensive edge brake. FOr scope I'm going to use a Leupold VX3 LR, 6.5-20x50 30mm tube, SF, fine duplex.

There is some bigger wildcats based of the 408 chey tac case that will net you from 3300-3400 with the 300g SMK, but they take a different action and will just be a lot more money. Probly be at least a 16lb rifle as well, still portable, but still a bench gun IMO..

I"m sure some others will chime in very soon.

ANy of the large 7mm, ultra, allen mag, STW, would be a good starting point. 300 RUM to 338RUM and all of thier improved versions would also work well. ANything you can fit into the rem 700 sized magnum action would work. Talk to some of the smiths on here, Kirby ALlen or Shawn Carlock, they can really give you some help.

Top her off with a good leup or even better a Night Force and you should be set.

take it easy
steve

What do you mean by big game?
What do you mean by packable?

Lot of difference between a deer and an elk or moose. A hot 6 will probably do in a eastern whitetail at 1200 yards, but I would not try an elk at that range without a lot more horsepower. Personally, the least I would go is a 270 Allen Mag to be comfortable. The 7mm AM will do it easily but then you might not want to deal with the barrel length.

While a lot of us can give component lists, I too would suggest you talk directly with Shawn or Kirby. They will know the availability and wait times on things.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.