Remington 700 Mountain Rifle 280

Hoghunter

Happy holiday to all. I'm new here. I want to learn all I can about shooting and hunting. Been disabled for last 19 years. Have not don't a whole lot of hunting. I have Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 280 caliber. Top with Leupold vx3 3.5x10 x40. Shooting Hornady 139 grain GMX. I alos Have Ruger 77MK1 in 308 with Leupold vx2 3x9x40 shoot 150 grain Hornady sst. Alos shoot a Ruger number 1 in 243 with Leupold VX111 3.5x10x40 in Boone and Crocket Plex I shoot Hornady 100 grain BTSP

All of the guns you have are god for Hunting but not necessarly for long range shooting. What barrel length on the Ruger 243, it might be the best choice for long range. For hunting you are well gunned out to 400 or 500 yards. How much shooting have you done? What type hunting do you want to do? Hope this helps.

i would sell the 308 ruger and get a remington 700. either a 308 hvy barrel or a sendero. do you reload.

Naa I like my Rugers. Have lot of problems with the 700 had new trigger and safety put in and finally had the action glass bedded Shhots great now but I prefer a Ruger any time over a Remington

I think the 280 is a perfect start. Use the 140 VLD and it should get out farther than you would think. Once you have shot the barrel out then you can start looking at other cartridges or a rebarrel to maybe a 280 AI. I have seen them shoot very comparable ballistic wise to a 7 Rem Mag. I would personally stick with the 6.5's or the 7's unless you really want to go big with the 338's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.