Buying a new rifle: Which Remington 700 to buy?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

The time is here and I am buying a new rifle. I am wanting it chambered in 300 Win Mag. I have my eyes set on the Remington 700 series due to its ease of customizable options. This rifle is for deer, elk, and bear (out to max 600 yards) and steel around 1,000.

What model 700 do you all recommend under the $800 mark? What twist rate do they come with/what is recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Remington Firearms Model 85505 700 5-R Bolt 300
$805 cash right now at Budsguns
Seems like the 5R's have consistantly good barrels, where the rest can be a crap shoot as to if it is going to be good or not. This one has a 26" barrel to maximize velocity.. you can also get the same rifle in a 24" barrel if you are looking for a handier rifle. The Remington .300 WM's come with a 1 in 10 twist barrel which is pretty standard for the .30 calibers.

The Remington 700 5-R sets the benchmark for accuracy and durability. Much
like M-24, the barrel is cold hammer forged and features 5-R rifling. The 5R rifling profile increases barrel life expectancy, accuracy and creates less fouling and bullet deformation over time. It has a stainless steel action and barrel, H.S. Precision composite stock, dual front swivel stud
system, and a X-Mark Pro adjustable trigger.
This model has a 26" barrel chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42393/remington+firearms+85505+700+5-r+bolt+300+winchester+magnum+26+3+1+synthetic+h

Just add a Timney Calvin Elite or Trigger Tech trigger and you are probably good to go.

Last edited:
I'd look in the for sale section and purchase a semi custom 700, from a member here. There are some nice rigs up for grabs.

Seems like the 5R's have consistantly good barrels, where the rest can be a crap shoot as to if it is going to be good or not. This one has a 26" barrel to maximize velocity.. you can also get the same rifle in a 24" barrel if you are looking for a handier rifle. The Remington .300 WM's come with a 1 in 10 twist barrel which is pretty standard for the .30 calibers.

like M-24, the barrel is cold hammer forged and features 5-R rifling. The 5R rifling profile increases barrel life expectancy, accuracy and creates less fouling and bullet deformation over time. It has a stainless steel action and barrel, H.S. Precision composite stock, dual front swivel stud

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42393/remington+firearms+85505+700+5-r+bolt+300+winchester+magnum+26+3+1+synthetic+h

Just add a Timney Calvin Elite or Trigger Tech trigger and you are probably good to go.
I'd look in the for sale section and purchase a semi custom 700, from a member here. There are some nice rigs up for grabs.

Do these rifles, specifically the 5R, come with a floated barrel? If not, is it necessary in these rifles? Also is an additional bedding agent required?

Yes, they are floated and bedding shouldn't be needed. I have the gen 2 version of this rifle in 260 and it is awesome.

Ok great. Do you know if the long range model is floated and bedded as well? I'm not sure I need the 5-R at my current level in my shooting career.

Ok great. Do you know if the long range model is floated and bedded as well? I'm not sure I need the 5-R at my current level in my shooting career.
They both come with similar stocks that have aluminum bedding blocks and free floated barrels - The 5r has an hs precision and the LR has a Bell and Carlson. I think the 5r is worth the extra money imo for the stainless and the better barrel, but that comes down to personal preference.

They both come with similar stocks that have aluminum bedding blocks and free floated barrels - The 5r has an hs precision and the LR has a Bell and Carlson. I think the 5r is worth the extra money imo for the stainless and the better barrel, but that comes down to personal preference.

What is it that makes the barrel better in the 5r? I'm not super worried about having a stainless barrel or not personally.

What is it that makes the barrel better in the 5r? I'm not super worried about having a stainless barrel or not personally.

When I was researching mine, I read that in addition to the 5r rifling, the overall quality of the barrel itself is supposedly better...mine shoots .5 moa groups with factory Prime ammo, so I have no regrets.

The Gen 2's have a black cerakoted fluted threaded barrel - kind of sexy.

Buy the best you can afford.
5r, is merely a rifling profile and not some unicorn magical bullet thingy-ma-jig.
As far as modern manufacturing processes and quality control, I agree a new rifle should perform as well as, or better than an old rifle that has been worked over. It's hard to beat .0005" accuracy in machining. I would still recommend purusing the advertisements for sale here and maximizing your dollar.
The new rifles don't come bedded from the factory, they utilize a milled block that acts to wedge the receiver into the stock. Different concept, but provides the same outcome. Or, they are traditionally cradled, depending on the model you choose.

That is an amazing deal for that rifle.

They are about $1700AU here which is about $1200US.

I guess in your price bracket that suits, but Id rather a Sendero!

I really like the R5 Remington Milspec. I think it's one of the best kept secrets amongst factory rifles at a decent price. Several years ago for factory class, Egg Shoot competition where the Remington Milspec qualified as factory, I went through three Milspecs getting approximately 2400 rounds before accuracy began to exceed .25-.5MOA. Barrels ran long strings and very hot in the summer months. While the BTO of these rifles were ran pretty long, in +.150" range, they produced great accuracy with almost identical loads between rifles. My only modifications(allowed) were trigger/stock upgrades to a Jewel or a Timney, and, while not really necessary, a McMillan A5 on one of the rifles. The fit, finish, and reliability of these rifles were IMO, a notch above the other Remington 700's. The biggest surprise was that when Bore-scoped, even after a couple of thousand rounds, the bore looked more like a one of my custom barrels then the rough sewer pipe appearance quite typical with most factory grade barrels. Given my satisfaction with the 308's, I later purchased a 300WM with 24" barrel. Added a muzzle brake, trigger, A3 McMillan stock, and 5x25x56 ATAC-R scope, and this rifle continues to this day to be my go-to LR hunter for larger sized game.
Shown: My Mil Spec 300WM hunter with typical 200 yard oerformand with the 200gr ELD-X,
37456DA6-A82E-472C-8CA5-8C5DA6BFB487.jpeg D0636387-1812-4075-8929-A22E49CB8910.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.