Buying a New rifle

xBigWolfx

Ive deer hunted but never owned my own rifle I've shot 30-06, 308, 223 that's the extent of my caliber experience.

I would like a all around hunting caliber that can kill deer and maybe some of the bigger game in the states. But I would also like to be able to shoot long range targets in my off time when not hunting.

I don't have a limit on how far Id like to target shoot one day but lets just say 1000 yards it doesn't have to reach that distance but if there's a caliber that can be used for both hunting and long range target shooting.

I will not be hunting at long distances just target shooting longer distances when not hunting. I asked before else where and those people couldn't even tell which end the bullet came out from.

What would you suggest?

So many options. A lot of things to consider. In my mind for all around hunting and shooting it's very tough to beat the .243. It can shoot 55gr bullets really fast for small critters or 95 gr for larger critters. I have gotten many freind into shooting as I am one of the few 300 plus yards ranges in my area. I always recommend 243 for this because it will shoot far enough with light enough recoil to learn good solid shooting practices. It's also perfect for deer size game. Also capable of larger animals if distance is kept reasonable and a good bullet is used. That being said the 6.5 creed is very close and even possibly the better choice.

From what you listed .308
I would do more research on calibers like the 300 WinMag, 7mm, 6.5 Creed, 338 Lapue etc..
All calibers "can" kill it just depends on how much you want to spend and your proficiency in shooting.

You are going to get many opinions on this question so here is my 2 cents. If I had to pick just one caliber as a do everything rifle, I think I would have to go with my 308. It is perfect for deer size game and with proper bullet selection it can be used on everything from coyotes to large game such as elk and moose. When it comes to bullet selection and availability it doesn't get much better. Very long barrel life and manageable recoil. My second would be the 3006 for pretty much the same reason.

Something in7mmRemMag would be a good choice. Recoil is tolerable for most folks, power level is high enough to cleanly take deer size game beyond 500yds, accuracy is usually darn good, every major mfg makes a rifle chambered for it and ammo is everywhere.
Not sure if you're interested in a heavy barrel or sporter weight. Remington makes the Sendero and LongRange rifle (hvy brl) in this caliber and Savage makes the LongRangeHunter (sportr brl) in this caliber. There are many other makes/models to choose from. JohnnyK.

Welcome to the forum ...
My choices, based on our listed interest, would be either the .284 Winchester or the .308 - The .284 can generate some aggravation if you're a reloader so the .308 might be the better choice. It'll take any game on the North American Continent.

the rifle is more important than the cartridge. a rem 40-x, sendero , 5-r , or rem 700 long range. or a sako 85 varmint. the cartridge depends 30-06 or 25-06 in the long range , 7mm mag long range or sendero, 300 win mag in the 5-r.

I would say 30-06 or a 270 or 280. the 06 and 280 would probably be better for target shooting with bullet selection but any of those will fill your needs. I have both an 06 and 270 and wouldn't hesitate to use either on anything short of big bears and maybe be picky with bullets for a moose.

7mm Rem Mag is very hard to beat for a "do it all" cartridge. Lots of rifle choices and easy to find ammo make it a great choice. Recoil is light compared to other magnums. 7mm has a wide choice of bullet weights with very high B.C. for longer range shooting. If you have a little more to spend ($1500-$1800) you can get one of the semi custom rifles built on a Rem style 700 action.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.