Buying a new rifle: Which Remington 700 to buy?

If the OP is gonna pack this rifle around in real mountains, that AWR is what he needs. Get it in .300 RUM and don't look back. Word is they are shooters. mtmuley

I have often looked at the Remington Long Range as it is a good looking rifle with decent stock and that $655 price is super. But seems like your much more likely to be happy with the accuracy of the models with the 5R barrels. Good luck with your choice and we will all be anxious to hear how it shoots.

Keep in mind the LR model has an inferior stock, and barrel. I own both HS Precision (5R model) and B&C stocks (LR model)... While both good, there is a huge difference in the two, as far as rigidity is concerned...And price. The HS Precision stocks are about $450-500, and the B&C stocks are around $250-275. Rigidity is what aids in accuracy. The 5R has an HS Precision stock, which is fiberglass. The LR has a B&C stock, which is injection-molded. If they have both in stock, with one hand on the forearm, and the other on the cheek rest, flex the stocks and you will feel what i'm talking about. The HS Precision stock on the 5R feels solid as a rock, because it's hand-laid and layered fiberglass. The B&C will flex like a PVC pipe. That being said, the B&C Medalist stocks do still have a full aluminum bedding block in them (as do the HS Precision stocks), which helps tremendously in the rigidity around the action, which is the main point of contact. Once again, they are not bad stocks, just not of the same quality. I have a custom .30-06 AI sitting in a B&C Medalist right now, and it's very accurate. It just has a lot of forend flex, which could touch the barrel and affect harmonics/accuracy.

Now, onto the barrels. The LR model has a standard 6-groove barrel. These can be extremely accurate, and I've owned quite a few there were. I've also had a couple there were not...But, you buy enough guns, you're bound to encounter a lemon eventually, right? A simple trip to the gunsmith with a new barrel blank, and that was solved. The 5R rifle, has a 5R-rifled barrel. The 5R rifling, has many advantages, IMO, the biggest ones being the design itself, which has proven to have quicker & easier cleaning, less fouling, and longer shot-strings between needing cleaning. Some claim it even aids in accuracy, which I cannot attest to, as there are MANY factors that play into that, but I can say that all my rifles with 5R rifling (5 or 6 different cartridges, calibers, and weapon system types), are VERY accurate guns.

View attachment 139563

In my personal opinion, for the small price difference between them, I'd risk the money on the 5R over the LR model. Just personal opinion. In the end, it's your money, and your choice.

Ok, I have heard enough good about the 5R I think it would be unwise of me not to spend the extra money to buy it. I just checked out the LR model and it feels nice, but feel isn't everything, personal experience is. Thank you much!

Regardless of what model you buy, you will want to upgrade the trigger ASAP, as they all have the same crappy lawyer-proof X-Mark Pro triggers in them. The factory triggers are junk. A nice TriggerTech or Timney would be my recommendation.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, I would have a qualified gunsmith or armorer do it for you. I would NOT let anyone from a big box store touch it, despite what they say about how much they claim to know. Trigger work is not something to play around with if you're inexperienced...Lots of people get hurt from guns firing when they were on safe, because they didn't know what they were doing, or let someone else who also didn't know what they were doing start twisting screws in there.

NOT! Out of respect to the OP, you and I have taken enough unnecessary posts that is not beneficial for this thread or the OP. If you want to continue PM me.
Ed, there's no point in continuing this conversation. It's just fun to poke back every now and then, because some people still think it's a good idea to passive/aggressively poke the bear. Then when the bear reacts, they want to stand there with their hands up going, "What did I do? What did I do?" as if they did nothing to provoke the more-than-warranted proper response of the bear. All I'm saying is, if you don't want me to respond to your backhanded comments, don't make backhanded comments that lead to conversations that ruin other people's threads. It's pretty simple.

I'm done responding to this crap. My apologies to the OP.

Ed, there's no point in continuing this conversation. It's just fun to poke back every now and then, because some people still think it's a good idea to passive/aggressively poke the bear. Then when the bear reacts, they want to stand there with their hands up going, "What did I do? What did I do?" as if they did nothing to provoke the more-than-warranted proper response of the bear. All I'm saying is, if you don't want me to respond to your backhanded comments, don't make backhanded comments that lead to conversations that ruin other people's threads. It's pretty simple.

I'm done responding to this crap. My apologies to the OP.

I have faced real bears in real life, you are not one. The last time I called you out directly, I was accused of specifically targeting you, which I have no problem BTW. I created a thread just for you.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.