Which long range target rifle to buy

Thanks fellas! It was a real cool project to try to do, and Jerry Teo gets the blame (see his article, "Long Range Rifle on a budget"). I have another savage that pros built for me in a different style stock, and I like the fit and shooting position comfort of this one better, so Boyd's is probably going to get a call soon for another stock with the same specs. And of course if I stumble upon a decent priced used savage on sale somewhere....

lightbulbYou gotta love them Savages ... they simply rocks!lightbulb

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 50
i suggest you start with an SPS which has the same bottom metal as a BDL. i suggest you do not true the action . why would you do that on a rme and not a vanguartd. if you feel the need of a trued action buy a custom like a bat. none of mine a "trued" or blueprinted and they shoot awesome.

If you're still considering the .308, have you looked at the 700 5r (milspec)? It may not have the stock you want but I have never heard of one that shot over an inch out of the box with factory ammo, and many report they are 1/2 MOA rifles without any work.
It's as close as you can get to a guarantee without paying the premium. Do a little Googlin and you'll find a couple articles on the rifle, if you aren't already familiar with it. It's functionally an m40/24 without the official stock...or the price tag.

The 5r rifling is twisted at 11.25 in order to handle the heavier long-range bullets and very tolerant of being dirty.

There are many other good rifles out there, and the milspec runs about a grand, but after reading the reviews on accuracy you'll realize there really isn't a gamble at all in that department.

The cons are: You'll just have to figure out a stock. Many love the HS Precision but I didn't care for it. It's very similar to the M40stock. Some don't care for their new triggers but I had no problems with mine. Any rifle smith should have old triggers laying around if u pay for the work.

Just another option to consider. Good luck!

Chris

I checked my LGS today and they had a 5r in 223 in the M40 stock. That actually fit pretty well. I am nervous because it's a remington, but overall, I did like the rifle. I am going to see if I can find one in 308 like the 223 I saw today, definitely want the longer barrel.

The only think that I don't know about is that I had planned to eventually (as soon as possible) rebarrel to 260, so not sure it is worth putting the money into the 5r....I think that might only be something to do were I going to stick with 308.

But it's a thought....on the other hand, depending on what 5r's in 308 cost, I could probably pick up a Rem Long Range rifle. If I can get it for 600 (unlikely perhaps), then shoot it as is. If it's fine, fine. If not, then throw another 600 into it and have it rebarreled in 260...long action would let me seat them pretty far out...

I checked my LGS today and they had a 5r in 223 in the M40 stock. That actually fit pretty well. I am nervous because it's a remington, but overall, I did like the rifle. I am going to see if I can find one in 308 like the 223 I saw today, definitely want the longer barrel.

The only think that I don't know about is that I had planned to eventually (as soon as possible) rebarrel to 260, so not sure it is worth putting the money into the 5r....I think that might only be something to do were I going to stick with 308.

But it's a thought....on the other hand, depending on what 5r's in 308 cost, I could probably pick up a Rem Long Range rifle. If I can get it for 600 (unlikely perhaps), then shoot it as is. If it's fine, fine. If not, then throw another 600 into it and have it rebarreled in 260...long action would let me seat them pretty far out...

Don't be nervous with the 5R barrels. They are 9.9/10 phenomenal shooters. My 24" 5R .308 Win is a 1 ragged hole gun if I do my part with handloads. And the only thing I've ever done to it was re-torque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds, and replaced the trigger with an old style factory Remington trigger and tuned it.

You could always buy a gun vise and an action wrench, and have the smith pin the recoil lug on the 5R, and have him setup a .260 Rem barrel. Then you could have your own switch-barrel rifle, and be able to swap barrels on your own at home, and you can decide whether or not to shoot .308 or .260 that day. You get twice the function and life out of the same basic rifle. And you won't be wasting the nice 5R .308 barrel.

Well, looks like a component mismatch for me again. I like the stock on the 223 5r's. Fits decently. But it looks like the 308's have a more 'classic' comb...which does not fit me. I need a raised comb, preferable a cheek piece as well.

So on the 5r, I would be looking at a stock change as well...which would prove rather expensive in the end.

Almost....might be better to get a LA Long Range Rifle in something....or get something like an SPS Varmint, and put the stock I like on it...but then there is that accuracy thing again that only the 5r can give me with confidence out of the box.

I hate when you can only get 1/2 of what you want out of each gun, but never both in one!

Not expensive at all... You might even walk away with money in your pocket...

Those 5R stocks are HS Precision...A new take-off will sell here in the classifieds for $325-350. And they usually sell QUICK! You sell it for $350, go buy a B&C Medalist for about the same. No money lost, but the proper stock gained on a hell of a factory rifle.

Well, that is a thought, I think they do make an M40 style stock like they put on the 223 for a short action. In the long action, they actually make the weatherby stock that fits me best. Have to look into both.

But on the other hand, I could just start with the RC Vanguard Varmint in 308 and already be there with no other work needed...and it's cheaper.

That being said, it sounds like the 5r could be something special accuracy wise...but again, it will eventually probably be a 260.

Lots of considerations.

I went and looked at Tikkas today. I just can't like the stocks on those, or a CTR in 260 might have been in my future....

You might be overthinking this a little. I do it all the time, I have to stop myself frequently :D......

Id go back to the número uno question: what it is you want the rifle to do? If you need a 260 to do it then the milspec isn't a option. If the 308 fits the bill, the milspec has a reputation for great accuracy for its price. Sounds like you're going to be replacing the stock anyhow...be careful you don't end up with the right stock and the wrong everything else.

Best of luck to ya!

Chris

Oh, and cheek pieces bolt on easily...I couldn't find a raised comb/cheek piece that I liked either

Chris

Well, that is a thought, I think they do make an M40 style stock like they put on the 223 for a short action. In the long action, they actually make the weatherby stock that fits me best. Have to look into both.

But on the other hand, I could just start with the RC Vanguard Varmint in 308 and already be there with no other work needed...and it's cheaper.

That being said, it sounds like the 5r could be something special accuracy wise...but again, it will eventually probably be a 260.

Lots of considerations.

I went and looked at Tikkas today. I just can't like the stocks on those, or a CTR in 260 might have been in my future....

If you did remove the 24" 5R .308 barrel, I might know a guy interested in it... :D:D:D

You might be overthinking this a little. I do it all the time, I have to stop myself frequently :D......

Id go back to the número uno question: what it is you want the rifle to do? If you need a 260 to do it then the milspec isn't a option. If the 308 fits the bill, the milspec has a reputation for great accuracy for its price. Sounds like you're going to be replacing the stock anyhow...be careful you don't end up with the right stock and the wrong everything else.

Best of luck to ya!

Chris

That is good solid advice. The .308 Win is a hell of a fun caliber to shoot, and easy to tune loads for. I will always have one in my safe.

I built a rifle earlier this year in a caliber I had no previous intentions of building before. I bought a rifle for a donor to build my .280 AI, but ended up building a 30-06 AI, because I couldn't afford the Bartlein blank, and had a spare 26" .308 heavy barrel sitting around. Even forming brass it was shooting 1-1.5 MOA with inaccurately measured light-charged forming loads and unformed range pick-up brass. It's shooting so good I can't see pulling it apart now. Especially till I get more use out of that $120 set of Redding dies for it. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.