7 rum?

I know this is coming from way out in left field, but I have a 7mmRUM and love it.
My problem is, I don't shoot it often because I don't reload and factory ammo is impossible to find.
Any suggestions on this?
Perhaps I should start a thread ?

I know this is coming from way out in left field, but I have a 7mmRUM and love it.
My problem is, I don't shoot it often because I don't reload and factory ammo is impossible to find.
Any suggestions on this?
Perhaps I should start a thread ?
Hammer Bullets will custom load ammo for your gun, sight it in, provide the range card/drops, etc.
https://hammerbullets.com/services/

Not a big 7 but I do run a 7 SAUM with the 180 ELD-m. Talk about efficiency! Realistically if you run the 180 eld-m instead of the 195 you pick up velocity AND higher BC. The 195 eol is listed at G1 0.754 and G7 0.387 while the 180 eld-m is G1 0.791 and G7 0.401 With the new 190 A-tip the numbers will only be higher! Maybe do a build around that new bullet?
Will a 9 1/4 twist be okay with those 180 eld-m?

What I'm seeing are those out there that bash the 7rum for burning barrels and throats. I've heard from several posters that when keeping the barrel cool and clean and not hot rodding it to get only one firing out of each case it will last, I'm still under a 100 down the tube on mine when I found good loads and actually more like half that. The 7rum isn't much overbore than the stw and certainly not more that the 7mm Allen mag, the big 7.21 lazz case, or the 7mm-300 Norma mag I have been hearing about where it gets nothing but oohs and aahhs and praise and nothing about overbore and burning barrels. Can't tell me 7mm AM (or any other larger case 7mm) won't burn a barrel quicker than a rum but yet the rum still gets plowed into the dirt and from what I understand those large mags are still hammering down range very well.

What I'm seeing are those out there that bash the 7rum for burning barrels and throats. I've heard from several posters that when keeping the barrel cool and clean and not hot rodding it to get only one firing out of each case it will last, I'm still under a 100 down the tube on mine when I found good loads and actually more like half that. The 7rum isn't much overbore than the stw and certainly not more that the 7mm Allen mag, the big 7.21 lazz case, or the 7mm-300 Norma mag I have been hearing about where it gets nothing but oohs and aahhs and praise and nothing about overbore and burning barrels. Can't tell me 7mm AM (or any other larger case 7mm) won't burn a barrel quicker than a rum but yet the rum still gets plowed into the dirt and from what I understand those large mags are still hammering down range very well.
The "burning barrel" argument seems odd to me in a dedicated hunting rifle. Assuming you need 50 rounds to do load development and another 50 to dope your rifle you'd still have lots of barrel life if you only did get 500 rounds. I think 500 seems silly but I hear I will only get a max of 800 out of my 28. But I digress, so assuming you have 400 rounds left that should last a shooter many hunting seasons. Now for the normal argument "you need to practice and become proficient". Sure I get that, but you can do that with a 223, 6mm, 6.5 or .308 insert you cartridge preference. Then come hunting season 10 down the tube of the boomer before the season and you're good. I have never seen hunters more concerned about barrel life than on this forum.

The "burning barrel" argument seems odd to me in a dedicated hunting rifle. Assuming you need 50 rounds to do load development and another 50 to dope your rifle you'd still have lots of barrel life if you only did get 500 rounds. I think 500 seems silly but I hear I will only get a max of 800 out of my 28. But I digress, so assuming you have 400 rounds left that should last a shooter many hunting seasons. Now for the normal argument "you need to practice and become proficient". Sure I get that, but you can do that with a 223, 6mm, 6.5 or .308 insert you cartridge preference. Then come hunting season 10 down the tube of the boomer before the season and you're good. I have never seen hunters more concerned about barrel life than on this forum.

Trying to push a 195 at 3200-3250 you're not going to get that 500, probably no more than 200-300rds even if you baby it.

Trying to push a 195 at 3200-3250 you're not going to get that 500, probably no more than 200-300rds even if you baby it.
I was commenting more on the fear of lack of barrel life with a cartridge. I dont think its a reason to turn your nose up to a cartridge. If it meets your long range needs and you have a practice rifle or can swap barrels you're good to go. I dont know if you'd get 200-300 no clue just saying burning barrels shouldn't freak everyone out like it seems to on here.
As for 3200-3250 with a 195 I have no opinion as I dont have a 7 RUM and dont know what it can do.

I had a 7 RUM built a few years back. 8 twist Krieger 28". I was running 92 grains of RE33 pushing the 195's right at 3200 it was throated for 195's coal was 3.910. Put the boat tail at the shoulder/ neck junction. At one point I ran 94 grains of RE33 it was hot. Never blew up. It's funny all the guys that wildcat cartridges and you rarely hear a gun blowing up. Bullets coming apart once they leave the barrel is way more likely.
7rum is a monster for factory la mag. Good luck on build.

I was commenting more on the fear of lack of barrel life with a cartridge. I dont think its a reason to turn your nose up to a cartridge. If it meets your long range needs and you have a practice rifle or can swap barrels you're good to go. I dont know if you'd get 200-300 no clue just saying burning barrels shouldn't freak everyone out like it seems to on here.
As for 3200-3250 with a 195 I have no opinion as I dont have a 7 RUM and dont know what it can do.

For most people barrel life that short is a consideration especially for the minimal return.

Not everyone can afford the time or money to buy, load for and shoot multiple rifles in different calibers to let a real "barrel burner" rest so to speak between seasons.

The Rum was a great idea in it's time but it burned out quickly because of the high price you pay in money, components, barrels, recoil, and muzzle blast.

With all of the Rum's it's easy to find two kinds on the used market. Those that were shot less than 20 times before the owner said, "I can kill game without abusing myself", and those that are shot completely out.

If a dragster is what someone wants and they know what they are getting along with all the costs more power to them but I've seen a whole lot of guys waste a whole lot of money and then lose their butts trying to sell a "barely used" boomer that was just too much for them to handle or enjoy and even more that were badly disappointed when the rifle they spent so much money on and all the time to work up loads etc only to have it burn out ridiculously quickly.

Just curious on how many guys have or know someone that has burned a barrel out on a magnum. I'm talking a legit burnt barrel ie shot 1/2 moa one day and 2 moa the next. Even overbore your looking at 600 ish rounds. Most of the public runs factory ammo so.... at roughly 50$ for 20 rounds which is a lowball number burning out a barrel isn't cheap. Someone should start a thread to see how many people have done it.

Just curious on how many guys have or know someone that has burned a barrel out on a magnum. I'm talking a legit burnt barrel ie shot 1/2 moa one day and 2 moa the next. Even overbore your looking at 600 ish rounds. Most of the public runs factory ammo so.... at roughly 50$ for 20 rounds which is a lowball number burning out a barrel isn't cheap. Someone should start a thread to see how many people have done it.

I've burnt several of them to a crisp with throats that looked like alligator skin and craters.

I'll be lucky if I get 500 rds out of my 6.5 LRM but I knew what I was getting into when I bought it.

The bad thing about having a dragster like that is knowing it has a very limited useful lifespan.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.