7 rum?

Geez Wildrose you go to great lengths to tell us that the 7 Rum will burn out barrels etc then you let us know you are doing the same sort of thing with your 6.5 LRM.

If we want hyper performance for our hunting rifles some chamberings have limited barrel life. They are making barrels all the time.

I have burned out a 6mm-284 and a 257 weatherby both around 1000-1100 rounds. BUT they performed magnificently during their useful life. I simply pulled the barrel off and installed a new one. No big deal.

You know you're right. Let's just blow smoke up his butt telling him it's no problem and see if he blows up a gun blinding and crippling himself for life.

That makes far more sense.
If you are any kind of reloader, you pay attention to pressure signs. In my experience with my rums- 7, 300, and 375, how long the primer pockets hold up is one of the best indicators of just how hot you have it loaded.

All this talk of waiting 6 months or more for a rebarrel is a joke. There's several very well known shops that turn around a simple rebarrel job in a week or two, not to mention the number of modern actions that can accept a shouldered prefit.

If you are any kind of reloader, you pay attention to pressure signs. In my experience with my rums- 7, 300, and 375, how long the primer pockets hold up is one of the best indicators of just how hot you have it loaded.

One few people even know about is simply rubbing your thumb over your spent primer. If you feel an edge or burr around the impact point of the primer you've got a significant pressure issue. Most of us I think know that if the prmer is pushed back flat instead of recessed into the primer pocket there's likely an issue but the edge/burr was pointed out to me by a friend who's an engineer, pilot, gun smith and builder and completely obsessive reloader.

I had a 7 RUM built a few years back. 8 twist Krieger 28". I was running 92 grains of RE33 pushing the 195's right at 3200 it was throated for 195's coal was 3.910. Put the boat tail at the shoulder/ neck junction. At one point I ran 94 grains of RE33 it was hot. Never blew up. It's funny all the guys that wildcat cartridges and you rarely hear a gun blowing up. Bullets coming apart once they leave the barrel is way more likely.
7rum is a monster for factory la mag. Good luck on build.

I have two 7RUM's with Pierce Ti actions and 8.4 30" Bartlein barrels. The post quoted is very accurate to both of rifles performance. Great hunting caliber!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.