Don't underestimate The 7 RUM .

MudRunner , could you be mistaken ? I know that from a neibhor who got out not long ago and it is stated online that the RUM is in use in our Military . I'm not going to argue with you or anyone about anything , I heard about both being used in the Military about the same time and I thought it was a good thing because I know Many Hunters will back the 300 Win and the 300Rum also has a crowd behind it .

Now the IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does a muzzle break take away from a Rifles Value if you have it done after you buy your Rifle ??? This is what I need to know . My Rifle is Really accurate but who custom barrells for the 7RUM ? I ask for the future when I pass it on to my Son . What Barrel Maker do you suggest ???

MudRunner , could you be mistaken ? I know that from a neibhor who got out not long ago and it is stated online that the RUM is in use in our Military . I'm not going to argue with you or anyone about anything , I heard about both being used in the Military about the same time and I thought it was a good thing because I know Many Hunters will back the 300 Win and the 300Rum also has a crowd behind it .

Now the IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does a muzzle break take away from a Rifles Value if you have it done after you buy your Rifle ??? This is what I need to know . My Rifle is Really accurate but who custom barrells for the 7RUM ? I ask for the future when I pass it on to my Son . What Barrel Maker do you suggest ???
I've never heard of such...But that doesn't mean I'm right or you're wrong, either.

I know the AMU has played around with TONS of calibers over the years to test which one would give them the best advantages in the AMU Comps. But I've never heard of a .300 RUM being used during battle.

One of my good buddies is an SF Sniper, and one of the top snipers in the Army Sniper Comps, and is really connected. I'll ask him, and see what he says. If anyone would know, he would, because he gets to play with all their cool new toys. Lucky bastard... :D

As for the muzzle brake...It's all in the eye of the buyer. I think on a custom build, they increase value, but on a rare rifle, like a barely used original Sendero SF or a 5R MilSpec, then I do believe they depreciate the value. But that is once again, in the eye of the buyer, and a totally personal thing.

As for barrel makers...Any of the premium brand name barrel markers will produce a great product. Hart does a great job of rebarreling and truing your rifle, from everything I hear. I have a local gunsmith, so I don't have to out-source or ship my stuff off.

MudRunner , I hope your day has been a good one . I want to say thank you for the information about the barrel and muzzle break . I've thought about it a little but I don't want to ever do anything to mess up the accuracy of my Rifle , I'm sure the muzzle break wouldn't do that but I hear many times how it increases the noise level on a rifle ... alot . I guess I'll leave mine as is .

How much does truing the action cost ? Does it make a huge difference ? Just when things were starting to get back to normal and you could find Rifle ammo in stores , now it's a ghost town on the shelves again . It started with .22 longs going and now it seems as if they are all gone again. I think l may get a more standard caliber and reload , enough of that mess .

I hope you and your Family are well and that you had a great hunting season , I've read that the 260 Remington is a Good Rifle too . Do you have one ?:) Thank you again .

How much does truing the action cost ? Does it make a huge difference ? Just when things were starting to get back to normal and you could find Rifle ammo in stores , now it's a ghost town on the shelves again . It started with .22 longs going and now it seems as if they are all gone again. I think l may get a more standard caliber and reload , enough of that mess .

I hope you and your Family are well and that you had a great hunting season , I've read that the 260 Remington is a Good Rifle too . Do you have one ?:) Thank you again .
Truing an action and working a rifle is a very subjective thing when it comes to pricing. Most smiths have a set charge for each individual service part of truing and working a rifle. My smith charges me a REALLY good price, so I can't tell you what others might charge, as I don't their prices to be affected by what my smith charges me. My smith is also local, so I don't have to ship anything. Reloading is honestly the way to go, but I would read as much info about it, and the processes of reloading before jumping into it head-first. It takes a serious commitment, alot of patience, and a very good eye for detail. I have been noticing an unusual amount of rifle powders being bought up in the last week or 2. Almost like a 2nd wind. It's kind of ******* me off. I wish people would quit hoarding this stuff they never plan on using. And what makes me more mad is when people buy it, hoard it, then resale it for a rediculous price.

I do not have a .260 at the moment. I have been wanting to build a .260 Ackley Improved for a while now. I believe that the .260 AI, 6.5 Sherman, and the .280 AI are the last 3 "must-haves" on my list for now. I'm sure once I get those built, I'll come across something else I will want. It never fails. :D

I had a good season. 2 days in the woods, 2 deer at the processor. No real complaints other than the processor still hasn't gotten me my deer back, yet... I'm gonna be ****ed if he takes much longer. I don't want to get my deer back about the time next season comes around.

Hunters who use the 300 RUM seem to have really good groups . Why is that do larger bullets group better ???

I think it's harmonics and B.C.
With large overbore cartridges the bigger bullets I think give more stable or better harmonics. Also the extremely high B.C. bullets help with conditions keeping the groups tighter also IMHO.
I think the RUM is a misunderstood cartridge and If berger ever releases the 195 then we will truly see something impressive. As it is the 7RUM just doesn't offer enough over the 7WSM, 7SAUM, 7DAKOTA, or the 7STW to make it worth the while. The 195 would change that really fast IMHO.
Look at the 300WSM vs the 300RUM when shooting 200 grain bullets or less it is hard to see adding 40% more powder for a 6-8% gain. But when you go too the 230's and 240's the amount gets much closer.

Well for starters, I would have to say there is something wrong with a rifle that can only do 2.5" and no better than that and may need some work done to it which is probably what many others on here have done to their rifles as well. But I would have to agree with Mrultramag and say what type of loads were developed for this in just around 20 rounds? As far as it being a Rum and that's the reason why it is not accurate is complete bs. My 7Rum with 869 and 160 Ab seated to fit mag did just under 1/2 moa and there were a couple different loads that were just over 1/2 moa. Standard magnum sporter sst m700. As far as the over bore (which I think too many people get wrapped up in to) yes it is overbore but it doesn't automatically make it a bad shooter. But if you were load a 7rum to replicate 7 rem mag will it still be as overbore? Lazzeroni's, Weatherby, Dakotas, among many others are all overbore as well, and heck even the 7mm Allen mag is way more overbore than any other one I've seen as far as 7mm mags go, and the 7Allen mag owners would probably not trade that in for anythingbecause they are awesome shooters. Not bashing anyone's rifles, just saying that as the 7rum is overbore so are many others and it doesn't make it a bad thing, just more inefficient that's all. I can say that I feel that the heavier slugs do fit the profile of such rounds as the 7 rum and others as well. There have been many 7Rum owners out there who like them and keep them as they shoot well for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.