7 rum?

huntermncb

I've been thinking about doing a big 7 of some flavor. Was curious if anyone has a 7 rum throated and actually taking advantage of the 7 rum. With a 195 curious what your velocitys actually are.

I've been thinking about doing a big 7 of some flavor. Was curious if anyone has a 7 rum throated and actually taking advantage of the 7 rum. With a 195 curious what your velocitys actually are.

In my opinion the Rum is just too much case for the bullet. There's a point where the deiminishing returns exceed that which is practical. No matter what you do with a 7mm Rum unless you load it down to STW/28 Nosler ballistics it's a barrel eating monster and rather unpleasant to shoot due to recoil and muzzle blast.

Honestly if I were to build another 7mm of any kind other than the STW it would be a 28 Nos, 7 LRM, or one of the 7mm-.375 Ruger wild cats.

I've got a STW closing in on 2000 rounds that still hasn't shown much throat erosion but I've seen Rum's burnt out in as little as 300 rounds.

Of the Rum's the 300 Rum is probably the best performance and tolerability wise.

I ran a 7rum that I wish I still had.

145gr LRX @3400 and 180s near 3100.

APA Lil bastard tamed the rifle, which, with optic was 9.7lbs.

No doubt that cartridge won't treat a barrel well and most any other .284 is more efficient overall but for a hunting rifle sending big 7mm as fast as you can it'll be hard to beat.

I had a 28 got rid of it primarily because of brass issues and stupid expensive brass that was just to soft. I have a 300 ultra right now also. 375 cheytac 338 lapua ai. It would be used just for huntint.

I would wait and see if a reamer and brass comes out for a 7 Sherman mag. (I think that's what it's called)
Pretty sure it's based off an Improved 300 PRC. There is a thread on it I'm sure you can pull up.

I have a 7 Dakota I like a lot. It's just a shorter version of the RUM and has about same case capacity of 7 STW. I can get 3100 with 175gr and 3400 with 140gr bullets. Brass is an issue and there isn't much reloading data for it.

28 Nosler would be good also.

I had a 7STW with 28" barrel. After a few months I had it rechambered to 7RUM. I gained 25 feet per second. Perhaps a slightly smaller case would be better use of powder.

I had a 28 I just had way to many problems with brass wasn't worth shooting at the expensive of nosler brass. I would more then likely have a minimum barrel length of 28.

the 7.21 firebird hits 3400 with 168's --not sure if anyone has run the 195's due to twist rate

the 7mm allen magnum will push them to 3300 (as seen on bergers web page)-- they recommended a 1:8 to 1:8.3 twist rate for the 195 eol's

My hunting partner has a 7 RUM on a Pierce barreled action. 26" barrel. We have killed a LOT of stuff with it, bears, elk, deer, lions, pigs.... I don't see getting 3200 with the 195s. We run right at 3180-3200 with the 180s Bergers. 195s just didn't shoot as well. Longest kills have been in the 1000-1100 yard range. Big bears are tough so this is a good test. I think the current load is with Retumbo.

3200 with 195s will mean getting only one load out of a piece of brass. Fantastic long range hammer with the 180 Bergers. 95% of the time they exit.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.