7 Rum bullet choices??

sticknstring

Hey guys- I recently picked up a 7 Rum sendero(9.5 twist) and am getting ready to start handloading for it. There is alot of talented people on this site, and was hoping for some insight on bullet choices. I intend to hunt with this rifle(with long distance in mind). Primarily deer and hopefully elk every year. I'm hoping to push it out to 800 yrds(or better:rolleyes:) .
I have been researching the vld, I have mixed emotions about it due to my rifle's twist , finicky bullet to load in a finicky caliber?? Seems like everything I read on the vld is a 50/50 proposition as far as performance (on game and 3200-3300 fps applications). My second choice was the 160 accubond(wish they had a heavier bullet). Is there something else I should consider for elk size game at long distance with this set up??
Thanks for any input.

Hello,I am runing the same rifle/caliber with hand loads and found my rifle liked both the 140 and 160 accubond equally well, as far as grouping goes.I have taken both deer and bull elk with the 154-162 hornady sst and H1000 with great results, on a good day at the range this load groups in the .75s@ 200yd bone stock rifle.I have no experience with the bergers,for me it came down to the expected impact velocity on game.HOPE THIS HELPS YA OUT!gun)

Sendero 7mm ultra mag 180 berger vld 91 grains retumbo 3150fps, speed stay within 8fps. 200yards 1 1/8 group at 200 yards and still working the load. shooting st 2500 ele. good luck

I had a friend shooting 180 accubonds in his 300 weatherby mag 2 years ago on a trip to colorado. He shot a bull at a lazered 399 yds. The shot was thru the ribs on a broadside animal. Even though the bull dropped in its tracks, the performance was not what we were hoping for. The bullet didn't stay together like it should have. It only penetrated approx. half way thru the chest. Could've been a fluke. Who knows, but we were expecting complete penetration. 3150 was the muzzle velocity on his load. I shot a mule deer with 140 accubonds at 3250 muzzle at a distance of 475 and it performed great. I was shooting a 270 weatherby mag on that hunt. Take it for what it's worth. Bullets do funny things.

I just purchased a used Remington 700 in 7 RUM, and it came with the 180 bergers. I haven't got a scope on it, or started to load yet. But, given the length of the mag box, I can't load anywhere near the lands with the VLD's Just for fun, I bought a box of the new Barnes LRX in 168 grain with a BC of 550. I'll load some vld's and some LRX's and see how each do. If not, my 270 WSM liked the 130 accubonds, so my next choice was those in 160gr.

You can try the 162 bthp match hornadys they have a .61 bc and open like berger vlds and are not very sensative to seating depth.

Tanner-will the a-max hold together on a big boned elk?..I looked at some bullets yesterday, unfortunately they didn't have any a-max's on the shelf-but I like their b.c. #'s!

Coues-that's some nice grouping on a stock rifle! I'm surprised the SST's held up on elk....guessing it was the 162's. Did you hit any shoulder or bone?

Old mossy-I took a bull elk last year with a 7 RM 160 accubond @ 400yrds. I centerpunched him behind the shoulders-caught a rib coming out . I got a clean pass thru, he still stood(never ran) around for about 20-30 seconds before falling over. I don't think he knew something was wrong.:rolleyes:

Keep'em coming guys!

Sticknstring,they were 154s, I also thought they might be too soft but due to limited load developement time they are slightly under max and that the sst also has the interlock ring i went for it. The bull was very close range 50-60 yds hit one rib on entrance lungs were trashed but also found an exit hole to boot!I was impressed to say the least ,( the accubond would probably be my full time elk load.Rifle seams to like most every thing i feed it:rolleyes:but I have used the same 154 load for a cow elk at 200yds and three deer from 150 to 575yds with drt on all.I am looking hard at the a-max as well,as there is no magic bullet i try not to judge by just one or two experiences ,but so far the sst has not let me down!I also got very lucky on the lightly used sendero:DHope this helps out the ever present best bullet dilema!

Last edited:
The AMAX used to be marketed as a deer-hunting bullet... I'd have no qualms running it into an elk. Will likely do so next year, outta either a 7/08 or 7WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.