7.5 inch barreled blackout pistol for deer?

I know alot of people say the Barnes 110's are great. I have no experience with them, but have used the Barnes 120's with alot of success on pigs out of an 8" barrel. Shots to the shoulder and head at distances from 25 yards to 125 or so. I have yet to have one run more than 40 yards from where they were shot. I have also shot some with the 130 grain Hog Hammers with similar results.

I know alot of people say the Barnes 110's are great. I have no experience with them, but have used the Barnes 120's with alot of success on pigs out of an 8" barrel. Shots to the shoulder and head at distances from 25 yards to 125 or so. I have yet to have one run more than 40 yards from where they were shot. I have also shot some with the 130 grain Hog Hammers with similar results.
I have heard about the 120s but until now hadn't heard whether or not anybody actually had success with them. Thanks

I think by coupling the BO with a red dot you are further limiting your chances. Why not a scope of some sort, that would increase accuracy which is more important with a suboptimal cartridge. Jmho

I think by coupling the BO with a red dot you are further limiting your chances. Why not a scope of some sort, that would increase accuracy which is more important with a suboptimal cartridge. Jmho
You raise a valid concern and if I would have posted this thread before getting the components it is likely that I would have followed your advice. The trouble is that I now have the red Dot and and I don't plan to hunt past 150 yards for sure but likely not past 125. If I go farther than that it would just be on steel and simply for the fun or challenge of whether or not I could hit my six inch steel plate at that distance.

I've shot several deer with a 16"bbl using a subsonic load and the 208 Amax. Average velocity runs about 1050 with suppressor attached.

Shots have ranged from 25yds to the longest of 110yds and haven't lost an animal. I would compare the results to being slightly more effective than an archery shot. Always get complete penetration and Id say the farthest one has run is about 150yds with an easy blood trail. I will say that Ive been really picky with shot placement only taking broadside shots from a solid rest inside of a tower blind. We just did it for awhile during some doe management to have a little fun and accomplish the objective of reducing numbers.

Having said all of that, if I was hunting for mature animals where the shot presentation may not be ideal, Id be a little nervous about using the BO.

We used a little 16.5 in Blackout in a tc for a few years with my kids. We found that the 130 grain TSX bullets did not open reliable. We had to stay with the 110 grain Barnes to get reliable expansion and kills. Keep your shots close. I know you already have your parts but will tell you from experience that a 12.5 in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC is a more reliable killer

I also had very poor reliability with killing critters from 300 BO. Built it specifically to guard the chickens without having to worry as much about the line of fire. It failed miserably on Fox and Racoon, had to shoot a bobcat four times and still finish it off when I walked up. Got rid of it and went back to .223.

6.5 G or 6.8 are better options IMHO. 12" Grendel's are good out to past 700, so much more flexibility.

You raise a valid concern and if I would have posted this thread before getting the components it is likely that I would have followed your advice. The trouble is that I now have the red Dot and and I don't plan to hunt past 150 yards for sure but likely not past 125. If I go farther than that it would just be on steel and simply for the fun or challenge of whether or not I could hit my six inch steel plate at that distance.

You will be fine with a red dot. Especially at your distance. Just practice with it. In fact the world record for a slug gun was done with a red dot so it's fine. But to make it easy yes the 125 nosler has killed about 50 pigs and deer for my brother. The Barnes 110 is ok but the cutting edge and hammer are vastly superior in my experience. The 110 max is also pretty good.
Your caliber choice is fine nothing wrong with it. Actually that's what held me off from getting my grendel for so long I'm at 2550fps with 100gr out of my blk 16" and didn't see much of a gain going to the 6.5 as far as speed for the distance is shoot. That being said now hammer has a 99gr 6.5 that make the grendel a new beast. 2780fps with the first ladder test. May get more with different powder.

I also had very poor reliability with killing critters from 300 BO. Built it specifically to guard the chickens without having to worry as much about the line of fire. It failed miserably on Fox and Racoon, had to shoot a bobcat four times and still finish it off when I walked up. Got rid of it and went back to .223.

6.5 G or 6.8 are better options IMHO. 12" Grendel's are good out to past 700, so much more flexibility.

I'm thinking your poi was wrong cause I've never had a Fox or coon run off after being shot. If you were zerod at 100 and the shot was say 40 yards you would be pretty low on a small critter like that. Not saying that was the case but seen that happen many times while switching from pigs to fox and yotes in Texas. I in fact zero mine at 1.5" high at 100 so I'm dead on at 50 for Fox and close shots

Thanks Boomer. Anybody else have any experience with this kind of setup?

I have an 8" Noveske SBR that I have killed several Texas whitetail with and countless numbers of pigs and coyotes. I hand load and use the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX bullets with the black tip (not the blue tip). These were specifically designed to expand at lower velocity threshold that the 300 Blackout provides. With my hand loads I get 2315fps but that's about the limit as it is a compressed charge of MP300 powder. I've tried multiple other bullets and the Barnes has been the proven performer time and time again when others have failed or been marginal.

My rifle is very accurate out to 300 yards with my loads but I'm not sure I would risk shooting at an animal at those distances.

I'm thinking your poi was wrong cause I've never had a Fox or coon run off after being shot. If you were zerod at 100 and the shot was say 40 yards you would be pretty low on a small critter like that. Not saying that was the case but seen that happen many times while switching from pigs to fox and yotes in Texas. I in fact zero mine at 1.5" high at 100 so I'm dead on at 50 for Fox and close shots

After I lost the first one that's what I thought so I zeroed at exactly the distance from my hide to the chickens. Didn't help. Tried three or four kinds of ammo mostly super. Same sight on the .223 I haven't lost anything. Heck same rifle and can just different barrel. BO just isn't for me and I don't recommend it to friends.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.