357 Mag Pistol Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by justgoto, Jun 2, 2009.

1. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

I am going to try hunting with my 357 this season and would like to know what is the longest distance I would be able to drop one.

Here is the pistol,
    [​IMG]
    It has an 8 inch barrel.

I am thinking of using the Hornady HP-XTP 140 grain which will be traveling at about 1350fps.

I was thinking around 150 yards would be the max. Am I wrong?

The only deer I ever see be shot were with 30-30 rifles and 12 gauge shotguns, so I really don't know how hard this pistol will hit. Should I use the 158 grain bullet?

2. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i shoot the same gun. the three deer i have shot were 25 yards and under. the 140 is a good choice. a LOT of 296

3. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I use the 158gr. I only shot one deer with it and that was a finishing shot from about 20 yards. I am pushing the 158's at about 1500fps with a shorter barrel than you have. I guess I have always figured that 100 yards would be about as far as I would try a shot.

4. zuba

zuba Well-Known Member

how good does it shoot? I think 100 yards is as far as I'd use it.

5. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

I have a 357 Max in the Contender and 150-200 with 180s is pushing that.

I would plan on 100 yds and try the 180s.

Plus I think you said "drop" not trail for 2 miles.

BH

6. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

I shoot a 357 Max and use that bullet. I've had great luck with it. The farthest I've shot a deer with it is 110yds. Mine has a 2x scope on it though.

I'd say 100yds out of a 357mag revolver open sights is a reasonable upper limit.

I looked at silhouette shooter positions that really helped me shooting longer distances.

AJ

7. justgoharder

justgoharder Well-Known Member

I would say as far as the 'hitting' power of your gun 150yrd would be doable. However, I know that for me personally there is absolutely no way i could accurately make well placed consistent shots with open sites on a handgun at anything much past 65-70yrds. So i would suggest that you take your load you are planning on hunting with a see how far you can make a consistent ethical shot - Long range is all relative! Good luck, and let us know how your range sessions pan out.

8. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Well-Known Member

How far away can you hit a pie plate?....every time

9. justgoto

I plan on getting a 2x scope or a back sight that elevates. But today I tried some 357's, (opposed to 38specials which I sighted it in with,) to see how far they would drop and mushroom at that range, (150 yards.)

YouTube - 357 Mag Shooting 150 Yards

Those shots appear to be hitting within an 8 inch circle; so hopefully when I get a more appropriate sight or scope, I will be able to hit a pie plate.

But as justgoharder mentioned, "'hitting' power" is my main concern. I wanted to know if the 140gr bullet was up to the task. And like BountyHunter reiterated, I really need the deer to "drop." Every deer I shot have simply dropped in it's tracks, didn't flinch, no movement at all, just collapsed. That is the way I want them all to go.

On that note.
    Here is 5 of the 6 bullets, (I just couldn't find the 6th one,) in that video.

[​IMG]

I found them about 8 to 12 inches in the bank, (it is kinda hard to know exactly how deep they actually were.)
    These were 158gr Blazer's, and I feel those would do the job and suspect that the Hornady 140s, (since, (I assume,) the speed would be greater,) would fly more level and mushroom as much or more. I understand that wet, loose[ish] dirt isn't the best thing to use for terminal ballistics, but that is all I have.

The reason I want to use a pistol is that I don't trust my shotgun beyond 75 yards. I need rifling! I am not confortable shooting the shotgun beyond 50 yards at a deer. I want them to go as quickly as possible, with the least ammount of suffering as possible. I think I can acheve a more humane kill at longer distance with this pistol, (3 times the distance I am comfortable with with my shotgun.)

10. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Well-Known Member

At 150 yds with open sights, that's some great shooting. You won't believe the difference a 2x scope will make. The heavier bullets should retain energy further...
    Good luck!

11. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Sounds like you are in one of the "straight wall" pistol states such as Ohio or Illinois.

if so, you might want to consider a T/C Contender in 357 Max or the 300 Whisper with a heavy bullet to get a pass thru.

Super accuracy and hard hitting with the right bullet.

Mike Bellm rechambers the standard TC 357 into the Max. The normal TC max barrel has a reaaally long throat that gives poor accuracy. He uses a shorter throat reamer and they really shoot.

Plus you have the 41 mag, 45 LC and 44 Mag. I love the 45 LC/44 mag ruger bisley hunters. Accurate and will get pass thru for sure with heavier bullets.

Mike Bellm - Table of Contents

Watch what scope you get, eye relief can be critical.

Used Nikons are available for $100 normally off ebay and for the money are hard to beat. I like Burris, Nikon and the old TC in that order for pistols.

BH

BH

12. justgoto

Yep, Ohio.

The price of this gun was one I couldn't pass-up, so i am going to have to settle for this one until an affordable more suitable one presents itself.

Thanks for the input everyone!

13. justgoto

Re: 357 Mag Pistol Deer Hunting...Range Report

[​IMG]

I figured i would see if the fine tuning would get me to the 150 yard mark. it took 11 shots to hit the target then I didn't look where it hit I just shot the last 3 bullets I had and hit the steel with all 3. (The larger hit is 2 hits,) I adjusted it down one click since.

But my sight is at it's end in adjustment and might be a little weak at that point; so tomorrow I am going to set it for 100 yards after I try 3 38 specials and 3 357 mags at that setting... Then I'll save-up for a scope.

14. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

"I really need the deer to "drop." Every deer I shot have simply dropped in it's tracks, didn't flinch, no movement at all, just collapsed. That is the way I want them all to go."

It's time to stop then while you are ahead! Your combo can and will kill deer. As stated the 2x scope will make a world of difference. BUT as for clean DRT kills you are asking an awful lot of a handgun cartridge at 150 yard. And I can say with confidence you will have deer that run.