300 Blackout Ammo Selection

My very best friend is JD Jones, inventer of the .300 Blackout. He didn't copyright it, so Rem. made the .300 Blackout (same thing). I've had one since it's beginning. I use only subsonic rounds. JD had me test many bullets & hooked me up with Lehigh Defense & tested their bullets. I've taken about 120 deer, 4 turkeys, 200+ groundhogs & a large coyote at 170 yds. All these with subsonic loads.
The Whisper was developed with the Sierra 240 gr. HPBT Match bullet. It killed by tumbling. Worked fair, but I wanted more predictable results. Lesser Sierra HPBT Match bullets did not tumble & gave very poor results. What did work is the Sierra 220 gr. RN. It expands & tumbles).I get 95% instant drops on deer. Killed a heavy 8 point in WV at 240 yds. with this bullet. DRT. Obviously, mildot scopes are required for these subsonic loads that fly like a thrown rock.
For Lehigh, I tested their early bullets. Did not work very well. Then they made a 186 gr. Controlled Fracturing bullet. It has a solid base, a nose with 4 skives that open up & split off the bullet, plus a .17 cal. bullet in the open point of the bullet. You have 6 tracks of bullet damage with this. A "certain govt. agency" uses this. It drops deer Very Fast! (THis bullet also is in .30 & .375 cal. without the .17 bullet. I killed a 220# bear in WV at 220 yds. with the 250 gr. .375 in my .375/.284 handgun. DRT. Base went thru both shoulders. Pedals were in liver, lungs, spine, and backstraps).
I've shot some Horn. subs in my gun (Not killed), & they shoot so far off from my 220 loads That I do not plan on using them. My 220/186 Lehighs work so well I have no intentions on using others. Can't improve much on 95%.
B, I'd highly recommend going quiet. My Whisper sounds like a BB gun. An unaware deer usually flinches at the shot, walks 3-4 yards & drops. Do double shoulder hits. Get a mildot scope & figure out the range of each dot. On my gun at 8X each dot is 25 yds. starting at the top dot.
I have not near the experience hunting as Mr Hitman with suppressed subsonics at about 1050 fps but with handloaded 220 gr (Speer I think) I now only take the shot if it's head or neck opportunities. I was not getting any expansion with organ hits. Spent ALOT of time tracking.

Supersonic .300 BO works just fine. JD killed zebras in Africa with it. Subsonics are more difficult to find what works . Again, I've not tried any of the newer sub loads, but my 220 Sierra RN & 186 gr. Lehigh Controlled fracturing have had a 95%+ rate of either instant drops or moving less than 5 yards with double shoulder hits. Anything will kill on head shots, but subsonics at extended range are not the most accurate rounds in the hunting world.
The large WV 8 point I killed at 240 yards with the 220 sub load dropped immediately. I even killed a directly frontal shot on a deer at 150 with the 220 RN. I hit just where the neck & upper chest meet.
I just did a double kill on crop damage permits. Both deer were 50 yards apart. I hit #1. She acted really sick, but stood for 10 seconds. #2 looked at her. I hit this doe in both shoulders a little high. She dropped. Both shots were 150 yards.

Look at the Maker bullets if you reload, I use the 180gr all copper subsonic. I could not bring myself to shoot deer with a subsonic 300BLK, I built a bolt action 458SOCOM which shoots 500gr Maker all copper bullets subsonic. No deer yet but water jug tests were...impressive.

JD Jones made some suppressed .45-70 rifles. (I tested his guns for him). Shot a few deer with 500 gr. Lehigh all copper bullets. Results were terrible. The deer did not provide enough resistance for the bullet to expand. Entrance/exit holes were .45 ca. Minimal internal damage. Acted like FMJs. Had similar effects with the .338 & .375 Whispers. .500 Whisper worked OK with Horn. 650 AMaxes.

JD Jones made some suppressed .45-70 rifles. (I tested his guns for him). Shot a few deer with 500 gr. Lehigh all copper bullets. Results were terrible. The deer did not provide enough resistance for the bullet to expand. Entrance/exit holes were .45 ca. Minimal internal damage. Acted like FMJs. Had similar effects with the .338 & .375 Whispers. .500 Whisper worked OK with Horn. 650 AMaxes.
I would not use a Leigh, they shed for lightweight petals and pencil through. The Maker is designed to open and retain weight. Water jug performance was noteworthy, I can report after trying on deer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_152122_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_152122_Gallery.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 33
I shot a 220# black bear in WV at 200 yds. with a 250 gr. Lehigh Chaos in my .375/.284 XP handgun. He dropped. The Lehigh base went through both shoulders, the 4 petals went through the lungs, liver, spine, & backstrap. He dropped.
I've also taken several deer with my .308 HS handgun from 250-400 yards with a 110 gr. Lehigh Chaos. All dropped. All had multiple tracks of damage from the pedals breaking off plus the base. These bullets work quite well.
The 186 Controlled Fracturing in my Whisper at 1050 fps leave 6 tracks of damage in deer from the base, the 4 pedals, & the .17 cal bullet encased in the "HP" of the bullet. That's based on 20+ kills.