rifle selection opinions wanted

Let me throw a wrench into this....Why 270? If he wants to shoot 300, eventually he will want to shoot farther. A 280 or 30-06 have bullets with better BCs and subsequently will be better long range choices.

If you want the BEST ballistic coeficient, if I remember correctly, the 7mm (.284 caliber) 162 gr. Hormady A-Max has a B.C. of 0.625. Personally though, I don't think it's that important. Out to 400 yards, a 270 Winchester, a 300 Win. Mag. and a 30/06 all have trajectories not that hard to compensate for with regular hunting bullets. The accuracy of your gun is MUCH more important at extended ranges than is ballistic coefficient or even caliber.

For me, if I had to have one big game rifle, I'd pick the 300 Win. Mag. and probably use it for varmints as well.

The accuracy of your gun is MUCH more important at extended ranges than is ballistic coefficient or even caliber.

I would say they are equally important when shooting at distance. What good is 1/2 moa at 100 yards if you're shooting a low BC bullet in the wind @ 300-600 yards?

Reading wind and making scope adjustments will only take you so far.

I agree that are better choices, especially for the handloader, than the .270.

Why not CZ? Every one I have had experience with was a sure shooter. I have a 22-250 that is just incredible. I really have not handled one that wasn't a shooter. Granted not as many handled as the others but still a good platform.

i was thinking the same thing feenix, he actually is getting ready to make the decision w/in the next few months, he's slow to make a gun decision

thanks to all that have responded, very useful

i was thinking the same thing feenix, he actually is getting ready to make the decision w/in the next few months, he's slow to make a gun decision

thanks to all that have responded, very useful

If that's the case, all of the above recommendations are good choices. I will however, recommend to stay away from Remington 710 and 770.

TC Icon and Ventures are good choices too. If it was me, I'd go with Remington 700 or Savage 110 action for future semi-custom builds. The Savage action is hard to beat for DIYs.

I am currently building a .270 AI on a Savage 110 LA action with 30" barrel from Lilja with 3-groove, 1:8 twist, #6 contour ... and will be taking advantage of the 165/175 grain VLD bullets from Matrix ...

P4250161.jpg

P4260166.jpg

Originally Posted by FEENIX
A year and a half later, I hope the OP's friend made a decision already.
I'm not the grave digger.

Not that it matters but I didn't say you did. The point is the timing of the advice, luckily, according to the OP, his friend is still on the market for a rifle and should be making the decision soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.