600 Yard Coyote Gun

the .243 has the power . shooting 1moa at 600 yards is a LOT different than shooting 1 moa at 100 yards.
Not from rifle to rifle it's not. I said if he and his gun is capable of shoot 1moa at 100 yards then he needn't get a new gun.

If his Ruger .243 is capable of 1moa at 100 then it's also capable of 1moa at 500 yards or 1,000 yards. He'll have to use judgment and discretion insofar as the wind on any given day - same as he would with any gun.

I'm looking to see if the gun I have would be sufficient or should I look at other gun/scope combos. I have looked at the Savage Model 12 and like it. I also have looked at the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tac for a scope.

Any suggestions? If I went with a new gun and scope, I would like to keep the total cost under $1,500.00.[/QUOTE]

the savage model 12 LRP is one of a handful of factory rifles i would choose. not sure all the caliber/twist choices. but a 9 twist 22-250 would be one.

I agree with roninflag. A given rifle that is capable of 1 MOA at 100 yards is not necessarily capable of 1 moa at 600 yards. A 6ppc shooting a 68 grainer at .2 MOA at 100 is not necessarily capable of .2 moa at 600 yards. Another example would be some 300 RUM loads I have shot that got 1 MOA at 100 yards but definitely not 1 moa at even 200 yards. Too many variables, too many unknowns. Good discussion here. Lets see some targets shot at 600 yards.Please post pics. Thanks.

THE 243 is able to kill a coyote at 600 yards . hitting one is another matter. the gun has to be capable of a 6" group at 600 yards. i have a full blown f-class rifle with a krieger barrel in 6.5-284. i have killed over 250 coyotes. longest 492 yards. a remington sendero with a bushell elite 6-24 is one possibilty. better to sell the ruger and add 500 to your pot . get remington 700 with a krieger barrel. you pick the caliber. it has to shoot LESS than a 6 inch group at 600. few guns can do that

I have a F-class 6br with a remington 700 customisded action and a Kreiger barrel that will print a 4.6 inch group at 650 yds 1 in 8 twist with a 107 smk, custom is the only way to go if your into it, however I have shot c dogs with my remmy 700 243 out to 450 yds with no problem with a 75 gr v-max but I get beter groups with 105 gr a-max in a 1 in 9.25 twist barrel.

TIKKATAC- very very nice gun. your scope alone is more than the budget presented. it represents a rifle capable of nailing coyotes at 600 yards.

If it were me I would figure out if the gun is capable of shooting somewhere around .5 - .75 of an inch at 100 yards. (I own 4 Rugers and all of them do once the barrel was floated). The .243 is very capable of these ranges as people have said above. There are some great bullets offered for this caliber that have incredible BCs.

If the gun is capable of what is mentioned above then I would invest your money into quality optics. If at some later date your dad wants his gun back then you keep your optics and he gets his gun back. Its a win win for the both of you. If it were me I would seriously consider the Vortex Viper 6.5 - 20 x 44 scope. It has a 30mm tube quality glass for around the $400 mark. Good Luck and get those coyotes in the dirt!

FIRECAT and huntmaster- i agree with getting your 100 yard groups down to .5 to .75. however i would add that by shooting at whatever the range is for instance: 600 yards you shoot a 10 shot group on a 6 foot target with a 6 inch center. count how many go into that circle that will tell what per centage of coyotes you can resonably expect to hit. it will be fun, enlightening/educational.

Not sure what you've decided on but I shoot a savage model 10 predator .243 with a 24" barrel and a bushnell elite 4200. At 600 I'm getting a 4 5/8" group. Get a good savage and shoot a heavier bullet and you'll be good out to 600 after you do some shooting with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.