6.5 Short Action Build Best Caliber

Well everyone I did it. Made my order of a Bartlein 8 twist 3b 6.5 . Not too many times there is a barrel in stock just had to jump. I have a spare rem s/a in a marbled McMillian stock. Know find a deal on a jewell trigger and away we go.

Congrats man, you will like it. If you do go .260 AI, just so you know, midway has .260 Lapua brass in stock on sale for I think $91 per 100, normally they are around $100 or so. They also have the 147 eldm in stock if your interested in using that pill.

I also got my dies from them, the Redding 3 die set (seater, FL sizer and neck sizer) on sale for $99, however right now I think it's around $140. They have worked good for me.

Can't believe there is no mention of the GAP 6.5 SAUM. Now there is.

Mainly because he wants a standard bolt face, and also because this particular group of people know about the 6.5 Sherman short mag, which while it takes a little more work to make brass, is a more efficient cartridge. Though the gap will do just about anything you need a 6.5 to do

I've been kicking around a SS mag and also the 6.5 GAP. Head stamped brass is a good thing. Both seem like amazing rounds. ... on a mag bolt face.

Been kicking around the same questions for weeks.
I think I'm going Benchmark 1:8 #3 or #4 contour on a Tikka action in 6.5x47L.

The 260AI looks very interesting though, I've had 243/375H&H in AI before and loved the fact there was little to no brass trimming. The 6.5x47 sounds like it's the same as far as trimming goes

Going to be my deer/coyote/everything gun so I don't want it to be over 10lb scoped and a full mag.

Mike I just finished my second 6.5X47. #3 Benchmark fluted, Rem 700 SA, trigger tech, Wildcat Stock, Dipped in KUIU Verde 2.0, topped with a Z5 5-25X52 BT. Finished at 8 lbs without a full mag. Going to try the 127 LRX in this one.

I'm trying to decide which 6.5 right now. I already have a Bartlein #3 5R barrel and am trying to decide on a 260AI or a 6.5 GAP 4S.

The head stamped GAP brass has me leaning that way. 3100+ FPS with 140 gr bullets with no pressure issues and great barrel life, what's not to like?

I'm trying to decide which 6.5 right now. I already have a Bartlein #3 5R barrel and am trying to decide on a 260AI or a 6.5 GAP 4S.

The head stamped GAP brass has me leaning that way. 3100+ FPS with 140 gr bullets with no pressure issues and great barrel life, what's not to like?

I am getting 3140 fps with the 140 Berger vld and RL 26, I recently did load development, but that's my top end. With h4831 my top end is 3025, but best accuracy is 2930. My largest group from 3040 fps to 3140 fps with rl26 was in the .4's, with 2 loads .2's, 2 loads in the .3's and 1 in the .4's.

However, I believe 3140 was the very top load, 3100 would be a nice load for mine. However, the 6.5 gap would do 3100 or more with ease, where as I can only do it with 1 powder so far, and a topped out load. They are both good cartridges

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.