6.5 Short Action Build Best Caliber

mike33

I was wanting opinion on a 6.5 build using a rem s/a. Want to use gun for deer elk to 550-600 yards. Just wondering most efficient chambering and barrel twist. Thanks!

I have a 260 Rem with 1-8 twist barrel. It pushes a 140 grain bullet past 2700 fps with ease using Lapua brass. I think the longest shot I have killed an elk with it is about 350 yards, so far. It also kills pigs, deer and antelope well.

I have a 260 Rem with 1-8 twist barrel. It pushes a 140 grain bullet past 2700 fps with ease using Lapua brass. I think the longest shot I have killed an elk with it is about 350 yards, so far. It also kills pigs, deer and antelope well.

Thanks Bob.

Take a look at Elkaholic's 6.5 ss. It's based on the saum case only done right. You can feed the long bullets from a magazine 140-160 grain pills. Your deep in case of a 284 based round and the smaller 260 or creed just doesn't have the legs to get a 140 to 3200fps

Non-magnum, the .260 AI is the king of the SA 6.5's... 140's ~3,000 fps from a 26" barrel.

Magnum, I would look towards Rich Sherman's (elkaholic) wildcat the 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) or 7mm SS.

Yea if you have a standard BF, I would recommend the 260 AI. I push 139 scenars at 2910 with no pressure. If it's throated right you can run most any pill just off the lands and be within mag limits. I believe my col is 2.875 with scenars and i cut chamber with a reamer built for Berger 140 vld's.

I have one being built right now. It was a 260 rem, which will push a 140 very close to 3000fps depending on barrel length, it is getting a frozenfiber barrel and going to a 260ai. With the change to a wyatt extended mag box you can seat fairly long woth a 260 case. Playing with a couple bullets seated to fit the wyatt box - a 129 accubond puts the top of the boat tail right at the neck/shoulder junction and the 140 sst is a couple tenths deeper than that, so case size is really maximised by going to that mag box.

Just to clarify my earlier comment about getting 2700+ with the Berger 140's. That is with a 20 inch barrel in an ultralight rifle. I could use a different powder and push it harder but the rifle was built for short range work so I don't really have any need for a lot of speed.

Same here on pushing the velocity. I hit a node and kept going but groups opened up so I stuck with 47.5 4831SC. I think I got some pics to attach. That small group on paper is at 100 yds, one on steel is 500. Both five shots off bipod and rear bag.

The way this one shoots makes me partial to the AI version!!

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 159
Same here on pushing the velocity. I hit a node and kept going but groups opened up so I stuck with 47.5 4831SC. I think I got some pics to attach. That small group on paper is at 100 yds, one on steel is 500. Both five shots off bipod and rear bag.

The way this one shoots makes me partial to the AI version!!

I feel the 260 ai is the way to go also. Appreciate everyones help. One last thing 8 or 8.5 twist?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts