6.5 Short Action Build Best Caliber

How does the 284 case work out of the s/a with the longer bullets?

^Not well.

I have a .260 AI, in a short action Remington. I have an AICS bottom metal and use Alpha type II mags and can run my rounds 2.975", PLENTY long.

I shoot 147 Hornady ELD-M's with Lapua brass, CCI BR-2 primers and RL-26 at 3090 fps...I have verified this out to 1230 yards and it's spot on.

With H-4831 I got the 147 up to 2950ish, but they shot best at 2930, and my previous load was 47.8 grains of H-4831sc under a 140 Berger going 2930 fps, and this load was phenominally accurate. I got the 140's up to about 3025 with h4831 though, just didn't shoot as well. I may try the 140's with RL26 one day, but don't really have a reason to as the 147 has a WAY better B.C., and shoots half MOA or less now that I have tuned my load.

And, go with a 1 in 8. I have a 1 in 8, and live at 6,600 feet above sea level, and I have shot 100 grain pills in half inch groups, and used them for fireforming and shooting prairie dogs, and it also handles the heavies just fine. You will pretty much always have enough twist with a 1 in 8, even for most of the heavy solids.

Good deal, I'm going to order a Bartlein Barrel 8 twist after while. I'm going with a 2B it will be like a factory rem then. They are the only ones with barrels in stock so I better jump on it.

I feel the 260 ai is the way to go also. Appreciate everyones help. One last thing 8 or 8.5 twist?

1:8 twist. I think if you're going with Bartlein, I'd go with the 3B. Factory sporter barrels are just too thin and light to get consistency from for long range shooting.

1:8 twist. I think if you're going with Bartlein, I'd go with the 3B. Factory sporter barrels are just too thin and light to get consistency from for long range shooting.

+1. Get a 3b and have LRI flute it if you want to reduce weight some. 2 or 2b is too light for any consistency if doing targets. If you're not carrying for miles I'd go with fluted rem varmint, that's just me tho.

Thanks, one more question is the 26 Nosler a 308 bolt face or magnum boltface? I'm not interested in one but was just wondering.

Thanks, one more question is the 26 Nosler a 308 bolt face or magnum boltface? I'm not interested in one but was just wondering.

No it is not. If uses a Remington Ultra Mag (RUM) long action. It also burns the barrel out in about 500-600 shots. There are better cartridges out there.

+1. Get a 3b and have LRI flute it if you want to reduce weight some. 2 or 2b is too light for any consistency if doing targets. If you're not carrying for miles I'd go with fluted rem varmint, that's just me tho.

Same here. I'm a big fan of the Rem Varmint/Sendero contour. Most of my rifles are Senderos and customs built to resemble Senderos, and 5R Milspecs. Only one of my rifles is a magnum sporter, and it's my lightweight deer rifle...Which I'm considering swapping to a Proof Research when I come up with the funds.

Well everyone I did it. Made my order of a Bartlein 8 twist 3b 6.5 . Not too many times there is a barrel in stock just had to jump. I have a spare rem s/a in a marbled McMillian stock. Know find a deal on a jewell trigger and away we go.

Same here. I'm a big fan of the Rem Varmint/Sendero contour. Most of my rifles are Senderos and customs built to resemble Senderos, and 5R Milspecs. Only one of my rifles is a magnum sporter, and it's my lightweight deer rifle...Which I'm considering swapping to a Proof Research when I come up with the funds.

When I was young my main rifle was an eleven pounder 7-300 Weatherby with a 28" light varmint contour. My light weight mountain rifle was 26" and 8 1/2 pounds. Now even an eight pound rifle is a heavy weight to me. But growing old is considerably better than the alternative!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.