375 Snipe Tac...Barrel and Bullet tests

Ok,I will post new developments as they happen. The BC of 1.5 is a .375 bullet and it hasnt even been fired yet so how it performs in the real world remains to be seen. I am getting very close to testing these in an 8 twist barrel. I think all the components to test the 375 will be available prior to the 30s.

Is anyone looking to make a bullet that is actually legal for big game hunting out here in most of the western states when many require an expanding bullet?

high BC is great, high velocity is great but if they are not legal to use on big game, there are alot of us out here that will not be included in that customer base.

I think that is where the aluminum tipped bullets have extreme potential but very few seem to be going that direction at this time. Perhaps because it so much easier to produce the solids.

http://www.rmbullets.com/page7.html

.375 RBTAT Hunting
The .375 RBTAT is a premium match grade hunting bullet specifically disigned
for long range .375 cartrages like the .375/408 CheyTac.
This advanced ULD projectile brings out the full potential of your long range
hunting rifle.
Suggested barrel twist rate for bullet stability greater than 2800 fps is 1:10.5
Weight- 370gr.
B.C. - .948
Design Velocity - 2800fps - 3200fps

You will be the first, i have no intention of testing any of the Vikings or LM 119 bullets, i only have the 2 bullets a customer sent me to look at. I have 3 barreled actions going to Norway, they are going to shoot these bullets at 3000 yards or farther. I dont even know where to start for loading data, prolly Re25 or slower. I have a hard time finding a place to shoot past 700yds.

Dave

Dave, in 2008 you had 3 actions going to Norway that would shoot the Viking 403 gr and the LM 119 408 gr.....Did you get any feedback on these guns? Also, what twist went with these actions??

Thanks,
KZ

Dave, when you load up the 350 gr SMK for your 375 snipe tac, what OAL are you using?????

kelly

I just came back from testing the new style 350gn SMK.

Seated .015 off the lands.
Retumbo powder
Fed 215M

140grns ave fps 3149 ES 8

142grns ave fps 3211 ES 9

I fired the 140grn loads at my 700 yard plate, 8.75moa added...all three shots landed on steel, spread was about 4" The cases extracted easy, no marks on case head at all.

The 142grn load was .5 moa less, all shots landed on steel as well. The cases extracted easy, just a bit of shiney mark on case head. Temp was in the low 80's I used .770 for the BC in Exbal, came out perfect. This is one big Thumper!

350mk_target.JPG

700 yard steel target

Cowboy-Dave

Very nice Dave.

Let us know how the new SMK's work out of that 12 twist.

Getting ready to barrel another up, but I went the other way on the twist. I wasn't 100% happy with the 11.5.

Joel, you said you went the other way on the twist here....What twist did you use for your new barrel and do you have any test results from the range on this?

Im also assuming you are using a 375 snipe tac here??

Im building a 375 snipe tac and have to make a decision this week on what twist were going to cut the barrel to.

I was going to go with the a 1-8 for the new GS 414's, but GS is still fine tuning this new bullet and I have to cut the barrel asap.....

thanks
kz

This is an old string but makes interesting reading again and particularly for me since I bought both Dave s and Kirby s early .375 s. I still use the 350 SMK s and as I ve posted before the Snipetac has grouped 2.5 " at 1000 yds and the AM 12" at 2000 yds. The Snipetac Dave downloaded to 134gr and that was for best accuracy but it does not reach out as far as the AM. The best I ve done is hitting 3' rocks at just over 2500 yds with the AM but the issue is scope range. I ve used the SMK s on both deer and elk.

Has anybody used the CEB .375 for hunting and did they expand or just pencil through?

This is an old string but makes interesting reading again and particularly for me since I bought both Dave s and Kirby s early .375 s. I still use the 350 SMK s and as I ve posted before the Snipetac has grouped 2.5 " at 1000 yds and the AM 12" at 2000 yds. The Snipetac Dave downloaded to 134gr and that was for best accuracy but it does not reach out as far as the AM. The best I ve done is hitting 3' rocks at just over 2500 yds with the AM but the issue is scope range. I ve used the SMK s on both deer and elk.

Has anybody used the CEB .375 for hunting and did they expand or just pencil through?

I shot a doe a couple weeks ago with the 350 gr MTH out of the .375 Lethal Magnum 3420 FPS. It opened up good, about a palm sized hole out the back, granted, she was only 100 yards away. :rolleyes: I think the Lazers would make a great hunting bullet, especially for ELR.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.