338 snipe-tac

shaner2121

OK I'LL LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG. DAVE AT VIERSCO MFG., IS ALMOST DONE WITH MY DREAM MACHINE. PLEASE NO DROOLING! HERE ARE THE SPECS:
338 SNIPE TAC
CUSTOM TITANIUM ACTION
SHEILIN TRIGGER
LONE WOLF CARBON FIBER STOCK
33 INCH ROCK 9.2 TWIST BARREL WRAPPED BY ABS
CUSTOM 3 ROUND MAGAZINE, YES IT'S A REPEATER!!
BRAKED OF COURSE
HOPEFULLY 300 GRN MK AT 3400!!!
WILL BE TOPPED WITH A 5.5X22X56 NF
I'LL POST PICS IN THE NEXT DAY OR SO.

Sounds like a hell of a rifle. SHould be a helluva shooter. A 300g SMK at 3400fps, jesus mary and joseph. I never knew speeds like that were possible with that weight of bullet untill I found this site. That thing would fly for I'm guessing 3K and farther?? Anything under 1000 yards is just to easy I would assume.

Shaner2121, I must say I am curious as to how your going to get 3400fps out of that .338? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Please do help me out here OK! I need all the help I can get as matter of fact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

What kind of case are you using for this project? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the 338 snipe tac is based off of the 408 chey tac case

that means a HELL of a lot of powder

take it easy
steve

From everything i've read about the big 408 on here is that it cant be built off just any action. It needs a big beefy custom action. I guess it would be one of the ultimate LR hunting rifles though. Thats just plum amazing to get a 300g smk out that fast. Plug those numbers in the ballistics program and its almost unbelievable!

That was what me and BJ were originally gonna have built by Kirby, settled on a different caliber though

you guys will have to wait a few more months to see, he he he!!!!

steve

Busy day at work. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. As far as 3400 fps with th 300 grn., it's all good but case life is shortened. Hodgen has a new powder that Dave Viers is cookin with. Slower than 50 bmg so we'll see. I've been wanting to build this rifle for some time, I feel it's the ultimate LRH Hunting setup. Elk within 1500 yards are not safe!

Dave, Shawn C and myself have all caught the lightweight(sort of) bug for one of these class of rounds. Shawn and I will be using my 338 AM and Dave with his 338 Sniper Tac. Same thing in a different package.

Shawn and I are looking to get fully functional 338 AMs complete with BAT receivers, 32" Lilja barrels, stock, NXS scopes and bipods all under the 16 lb weight limit that Idaho has for a hunting rifle.

If it works I will be using mine on my hunt this fall with Shawn.

Just to give you an idea how big the 338 AM is, I used 135 gr of H-50BMG under a 300 gr SMK in my barreled receiver and it was not enough pressure to sharpen the shoulders on a fireforming load!!!

If you like these rounds, wait till you see what Dave and I will be working on over the next year or so!!! WIll make the 338-408 wildcats look pretty tame!!!

To many projects, to little time and money!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spending both as fast as I get any extra though!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty...

I need to stay away from this place! To many ideas, so little time and money. If you and Shawn C. Need a magazine for your carry rifle projects, i have designed a neat little 3 round detachable magazine. .800 wide x 4.400 long

If i remember right, i loaded some of the 300gr MK's with 144grns of BMG50 powder, was a hot day and the bolt was stiff on the opening. 3452 i think was the speed. I had more loaded up to 147 and didnt shoot them. I think it was 90 deg outside. Lets see what the US869 will do.

I have been working on the secret project a bit!! Shhhhh.
haha.

I've got a few 20mm casings laying around- we can have a custom hydraulic forming die made? 300g 338 smk's at what? 4500?
STOP THE MADNESS- before I get silly and have one of you guys make me one of these 338 monsters. Makes my 338 Lapua magnum look downright wimpy!

Oh the madness has not stopped only gained speed. I have a customer that put a depost down on one of the babies, then wanted to know if we could shave enough weight off the package to put a Gemtech supressor on it. It seems there is no law prohibiting the use of supressors for hunting in Idaho (I have not confirmed this), but in their wisdom they have saddled us with a retarded 16 lb weight limit. Go figure.

[ QUOTE ]
but in their wisdom they have saddled us with a retarded 16 lb weight limit. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't the 16# limit set to preclude the use of the 50BMG for taking big game?

Just a question? Has anyone ever shot a BMG at 16.5#???? So what was the point?? Not to get off of Shaners thread.

Shane will have some pics to post soon of his project. I sent him some action photos, its about 90% complete.
I'm just waiting for the Carbon wrapped barrel to arrive.
I have a great magazine designed and built for it, hope to have it installed by this weekend. Will be able to post the total weight of the rifle soon.

Dave

WOW! this rifle seems to be wild.. I´m very eager to see pictures of both rifle and cartridge. Just wondering about the barrel-life with this caliber... seems so heavily over-bore. Please tell and show us more!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.