338 snipe-tac

This THREAD IS BS!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

It is going to cost me money because I think I will have to have one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shaner,
Where are you in mesa. Coincidently, I spoke with Dave about his 338/408 after doing a web search and finding his site. I was looking for the ultimate 338. It was before I learned of this site. Anyway, he said that ironically he was building the snipe-tac for someone in the Valley. I was born and raised in Mesa and now am living and practicing in the North Valley. I would love to go shooting with you when you get your Toy back. I'm sure it would only speed up my purchase. Send me a PM at [email protected]

Thanx for all the pictures. I guess I have to change that signature text.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
..and now I´m going to start writing letters to santa claus for next christmas.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Did some brief high pressure/extraction testing to ensure I had no problems with extraction with full tilt loads.

Extraction was a like an empty chamber up to 150.0 gr of H-50BMG under a 300 gr SMK seated to touch the lands at 4.140" oal. At 152.0 gr there was just a slight bump at the top of the bolt lift when the mechanical cam on the bolt contacted the receiver cam. Other then that the case pretty much fell out.

Primer pockets held tight up to the 150 gr load as well. The 152 gr load pierced the primer but the primer pocket was still very snug.

I think I may need a heavier firing pin spring in that bolt. Seems very easy to pull the cocking piece back. MUCH easier then a Gre Tan match striker assembly for a Rem 700.

Anyway, not time to send the cases off for the FL dies to be made and tear the rifle down for matte finishing and teflon coating. This is where the nickname "Black Sunshine" will come into play!!!

Again, about the same as Daves monster, now we just have another big 338 running around the US!!! The more the marrier!!

WOuld like Daves opinion on the primer creater protrusion??

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

The firing pin spring could be causing the crater, i have seen a small flatening of the primers in mine with the top pressure loads. Very little crater around the firing pin punch. I use a stiff spring on my actions, 27# to be accurate. Std rem is 23# i think. You can go up into the 30# range. On some small actions to stiff of a spring can ruin the accuracy of the rifle. (too much vibration at ignition) On the bigger actions i think a heavier spring is needed.
I spent all day working on Shaners Titanium action, draw fileing the flats and block sanding. Then i talked with the owner of Broughton Rifle Barrels for about an hour on the big 338's and special barrels. We talked about how contours affect accuracy, heat dispersion, fluting, ect. Very nice guy to chat with.

Shaner....its getting closer!

Dave

RDM416

I dont think that is in the cards, Maybe a Kryptonite lined barrel could with stand the flame thrower that would be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But i'm sure someone will want one! But keep checking the board, Kirby and I are scheming together on a new project. Top Secret! Project "X"

Project "X", eh!

Does it look kinda like this?
332A_Big_gun-med.jpg

And shoot the larger of these?
332A_Big_cartridge.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifLOL

RDM416,

Well, if you can believe it, it is in the works!!!

Right now waiting on finding out if the appropriate bullets will be available by that I mean some wildcats MUCH heavier then anything we have seen such as the 240 gr SMK!!!

So to answer your question as vaquely as possible, its in the works from APS with something special from Wildcat Bullets!!!

I will be doing a 375 version as well but again that will be to come in a bit. I suppose which ever bullet is ready will be the first one we do. Judging from my conversations with Richard it sounds like the 30 cal may be first. We will see.

Kirby Allen(50)

Yes, Project X will be interesting. Should perform extremely well in my opinion and actually be very user friendly as well as far as loading and developing very consistant loads compared to other extreme projects we are both working on.

This may be the best of the bunch, we will see. It will not be for everyone though, when the news is released you will all see why!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,
Keep us posted on the progress. I am sure I will have to have one.....the 30 or the 375 whichever is first. What the heck, maybe both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.