.338 snipe-tac question

Bob lee

So after falling in love with my .338 edge I have decided I want another .338 cal cartridge. I am looking at a stiller tac .408 action and building a . 338 snipe tac with it . I have got a 31 inch barrel on my edge and a brake as well and it makes for a loooong rifle . I would like to keep this one shorter. My question is what is the shortest barrel I can get away with and still keep this worth while ? If I loose too much I might as well go with a .338 lapua imp. . I'm hoping 27 or 28" will be ok.

With that case capacity, I would not go shorter than 30".
You will also need to build a heavier rifle(16#or more) than your EDGE for this caliber, in order to handle recoil.

I shoot my BMG just fine . I am not worried about the recoil of this round. Some people are affected by recoil more than other I am lucky and to this point am not bothered by it.

I will be doing a 338 Snipe Tac. Same plan as you, light! I will be doing a 30" sendero countour turned down to .820 at the muzzle, heavy fluting and some sort of light stock that will fit the lawton 8500 (would like to do a Greybull Precision stock but not sure on how to get it to fit.) I would like to have it around 12-14lbs with scope on. Keep me informed on what you go with and what your rifle weight is.

I have a 338/408 with the specs you boys are talking about. 30" Sendero taper, 8500 Lawton, A3-5 mcmillian. I havent put the rifle on scales but its around 12 lbs. Recoil is not an issue with a good break. I have shot it w/o a break and the recoil is substantial but not unmanageble. You probably would not want to shoot it from a bench with a long string of fire but I intend to hunt with it w/o the break. I have an extended eye relief eyepiece and would not reccommend shooting this class of rifle unbraked w/o one.

Clarification, the barrel is not a true sendero taper, the barrel is 1.3 for 3.5 in. on the breech end then tapers to .940 at 7.5 in. and then to .880 at 30.

Bob how did that snipe tac build work out? Im curious bc i am thinking of building one on a stiller action as well

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.