1000 yard testing on 338 snipe-tac...Hunting class rifles

Black Diamond 408

Well i have been wanting to get out to the big range and do some testing on my 338 Snipe-Tac rifles (338-408IMP) Today was a great day for shooting. It started off at 40 deg with a very light wind and by mid afternoon it was 65 deg, still hardly any wind to speak of. I have been wanting to run some loads through the big chrono and test the rifles at long range. My range at my place is only 500yds at the longest and the corn has not been picked yet so im stuck with 200yds for now.
It took a while to get all our stuff set up, we had to take down the steel targets and replace them with a cardboard backing. I put up a 4'x4' target to start with, the rifles were sighted in "dead on" at 100yds. My Exbal program says 17moa is needed for 1K, so i adjusted the scope acordingly. I fired the first sighter shot, looked like it was just off the right side. We drove out to take a look and yes, it was 10" right of center, dead on the horizontal line. I made a 1moa adjustment and fired three shots. Again we drove out to check the target, the group was still on the center line but now it was left of center. I moved the scope back to its original setting, the clean oily barrel must of produced the off center shot.
The group was right at 9", not bad but was looking for better. At 100yds this gun shoots ragged hole groups. There was no prep work done on cases or bullet sorting of the 300 Sierra MK's.
We drove back to the bench and my bud Doc Jones set up to shoot his 408 chey-tac rifle. He let three shots go down range at the same target. We checked out his grouping and it was 11" with the Barnes 419grn bullets, velocity 2700. He used no fancy rest, just a coat wadded up. After letting the Snipe-Tac cool i fired another 3 shot volley at the 1000yd target, about the same group size, 8.5". We took a break to clean the rifles and the local Sheriff's dept shooting team showed up for practice. They were checking out the big rifles and a lot of chatter was going on. They have two snipers in the dept, one uses a Rem 700 308cal and the other had a AR-10 type in a custom 308 cal.
They were doing most of their shooting in the 100-300 yard range. Here is a pic of the building and down range.
[image][/image]

The top of the picture shows the 1000yd target we were shooting at. The ranges vary from 100yds to 1000 in 100yd increments. This range is used for national qualifing, Police & Sheriff sniper teams. Its allways fun to show off a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I loaded up the 338 Snipe-Tac and sent three more to the 1000yd target. The load i was using in this gun was 140gns of H-BMG50 with the 300MK bullet. Chrono showed average 3250fps. SD 9. All the guys piled into the trucks and drove out to see what the group looked like...
[image]http://[/image]

I was very surprised to see the results, the measurement was just over 6" at 1000yds. This gun is a hunter, 15.5# total weight, it was shot from a Bi-Pod and rear sand bag.

I let the sheriff's guys all take turns shooting my personal rifle, it was punching groups in the 8" range by guys never shooting anything bigger than a 308 before. It looked like a bunch of kids with their first sled, giggles and grins! I had no problem letting them empty all my shells. They wanted to shoot the steel targets, but i told them its not allowed as this makes nasty dents and holes in the expensive silouetts.
[image][/image]

Mike Jones and his 408 Chey-Tac target, 1000yds.

The day was fun for all, we got to swap stories and talk about long range shooting.

[image]http://[/image]

One of the Sheriff Dept snipers shooting his semi auto 308 Win. The shooting range is set up for year round, a small wood stove provides all the heat you need on those cold days here in Iowa.

408, great story and excellent shooting. How long is the barrel on your rifle?

Wildcat

Wildcat,

My personal rifle has a 33" barrel, the customers is 32".
I feel a 32" barrel is about right for the 338-408 wildcats, if your building a bench gun then you can go longer.

Dave

408, I was curious to know. I will be using a 32" barrel on my 338 Allen Mag. I see that you got 3250 fps with the 300 Match King, is that a light load or could you go higher and receive more velocity?

Wildcat

Wildcat,
Yes this is a moderate load, i shoot mine right at 3300fps. I have shot some up to 3500, but the brass was starting to flow. I sent a rifle to Arizona and he is shooting his at 3350fps and getting clover leaf groups. 3250 to 3400 is a good range. Even at 3250 the round is amazing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I ran outa time friday or i would of shot some at 1300yds. Next time i hope.

Dave

Eaglet,

Yes it does surprise me at times that rifles will shoot like this at these distances. I would have to say that most of the shooting comunity has no idea what is capable for long range shooting. I can go back 30 years when we didnt have all these specialized bullets, long range was 500 yards for most hunters. If you mentioned 1000 yards, they would say you needed a special gun and big targets, Wimbleton matches came to mind. Now days you can take a factory rem, good loads, great bullets and have good sucess at these distances. Push the envelope with a custom rifle and extreme ranges are possible. I personally am not into the heavy bench guns anymore, "to many days in the bench rest game", I like the lighter carry rifles and try to build them to shoot close with the heavy class of rifles. There are a lot of variables when shooting long range, the first step is to have a very accurate rifle, next step the propper loads, and last...have confidence you can do it. With lots of practice the confidence will come. I was talking with a friend of mine last week, he stated almost the same thing. He said "i have your 338-378imp rifle you built for me about 12years ago. I never thought i could hit 1000yard targets this easy. It took lots of work getting the right load and hours of bench work learning the ins and outs. I now feel comfortable i can hit the 1000yd 18" plate most of the time. I take that with me hunting, i dont worry about the shot any more. Use to be if an elk was out past 700 yds i wouldn't take the shot as i didn't feel comfortable, now 1K is not a problem. Its all about having confidence in your rifle and ability." This statement came from a skeptic, he thought that anything past 500yds was mostly impossible, at least in his hands. Now days he dont shoot targets at less than 500 yards, most everything is 1K. His 338-378wby imp does a real fine job for what it was intended, but now he wants the faster 338 snipe-tac. He wants to push his shooting skills out to 1500yds, long range shooting, either hunting or simple target shooting can be very addictive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave

6 inch groups with the fire breathing monster off a bipod isn's too shappy 3250 fps with the 300' sierra should take away alot of winddrift at 1000. Nice shooting rifle. Got a new SIII 6-24x50 in the mail. Sightron had a bad lot of glass. They took care of me and were very nice thats all that counts. I'll send it to you in december to test on a real gun, not like my wimpy 22-243 ackley with a muzzle break. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
long range shooting, either hunting or simple target shooting can be very addictive!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes indeed!!! Thanks for sharing you're friend's change of mind. Something I always enjoy.

Reed,
Can't wait to give the scope a try, i should have two new Snipe-Tacs ready by then. Both will have the ABS carbon fiber barrels, both single shot, one Ti action and the other stainless. I got one of the stocks in today from Lone Wolf, 100% carbon fiber...i didn't have a chance to weigh it, but the whole package, box and all was 3#. Don says it should be just under 2#. These two rifles are being made special for carrying. The whole setup is very ridgid, small loading ports, large dia carbon bbls and the very strong carbon stocks. The barrels are 32" 1.400 breech tappered to 1.100 muzzel, with Ti brakes installed. I think my next rifle will be like one of these, in 375cal.

Dave

I weighed the stock blank today, with no pad and studs installed it was a sweet 26oz. Don tells me with out the gel coat i can loose another 4oz. With out gel coat the stock looks pretty cool too, you see the basketweave of the carbon fiber under clear epoxy.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.