370 yard yote

remingtonman_25_06

Well Hermiston has about 6" of snow so I thought it would be a good idea to go and look for some coyotes. Me and a buddy started off before first light to get up to the good areas. First coyote we saw crossed the road and was out of site before I could jump out of the truck. The 2nd coyote we saw was just a little bit farther down the road and was trotting trhough a wheat field. I jumped out and barked on the Lil dog and she stopped. That was her last fatal mistake. The 25-06 barked and sent a 100g NBT downrange at 3400fps. She dropped at the shot and I heard a little bark. I didn't have time to rangefind her before I shot, but later confirmed 370 yards according to the Nikon 800. My 25-06 is zeroed at 200 yards and I held about what I'm guessing a foot over her back. The bullet barely hit the mark hitting her low through both front legs. OH well, I'll take them anyway I can get them. 100g NBT was pretty destructive, bout blew both her legs off anyways. I took pics, but on a friends computer so cant post them now. This is about my 10th coyote in the last 2 months or so. We ended up seeing 10 on the day, but to our luck, that was the only one that bit the dust. We've been doing lots of missing, but these dogs are pretty spooky. Everybody and there dog roadhunts them so they get harrassed quite a bit. Running coyotes aren't the easiest target in the world! Just thought I'd share, haven't been on in a while. I'll try to get some pics of the dogs I"ve shot lately. Have a good one!!

Hey Remmy,
Good story and good shooting. I see you're not too far from me, I live in the Tri-Cities. Have tried calling yotes twixt you and I (Coffin Rd. off of I-82) but no luck so far (getting out after sunrise). I too use a .25-06 as my coyote rifle. I've got some 75gn Sierra HP's loaded for them. Anyway, good luck! JohnnyK.

Good shooting Conrats. i love the 25-06 for varmints and predators, its great. i like to load the 87gr sierra in mine.

Heres the pic of the 370 yard coyote a day or two before I shot the 386 yarder.

wmjh4j.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.