Black yote!!

If it's in your budget for a life size mount go for it. Not sure it would be welcome in my house by a certain person but I could probably get by with a head/rug mount which would be pretty cool too.

I used to sell my fur to a guy that had a taxidermist working out of his shop she taught me some about skinning the feet and toes as well as the head, lips, eyes and ears. She had a really nice bull elk head mount for sale there, but it just didn't look quite right for some reason. I looked at it several times when I would go in there and finally figured out why it looked a little off. She lost the bulls hide to spoilage, so she used a cow elk hide for the mount, they aren't the same color in case you haven't seen them. And when I asked her about it being a cow elk hide, she told me the story behind it.

I think the coloration is striking. Everyone has different budgets so it's not always a matter of wanting something but I think that yote will make a beautiful mount and who knows when or if there will ever be another chance. It all comes down to affordability and what it means to the person spending the money. If you go with a full body mount you should post photos so everyone can see it.

what pose do y'all think I should go with??
This is one I shot and had mounted in 2018. It came out good.

583855377.jpg

So I first saw one of these online when I was part of a hunting forum in Maryland. Growing up in Cali predator hunting I saw my share of coyotes and thru were always the same color.

In 2014 I moved down to Florida and joined a lease in AL. The first summer I got a trail cam pic of a jet black yote with a white chest (first pic).

In 2016 I was deer hunting in FL with a buddy and had one come by at about 200yds running through the timber. Could never get a clean shot so I passed.

In 2018, same area, I had a pack of 5 yotes come running through the timber by my tree stand. I usually don't shoot yotes when deer hunting, but I couldn't pass up on a black one that was in the pack. As it came into a small clearing I touched one off. Shot felt good, but it was a clean miss. I was more distraught over that miss than I would have been over missing a big buck. Figured that was my one shot in life and I whiffed!

That leads me to today. Doing a morning sit in a food plot behind my house and what do you know! This little female comes trotting in! I laid a 530 grn subsonic smack down on her. I'm pumped. I know I'm getting a full body mount, but what pose do y'all think I should go with??
View attachment 433266
View attachment 433267
View attachment 433268
There are three on the property
1FA18189-ACF8-4A54-994D-F53FC58E1531.jpeg
my hunting partner and I are at presently. He wants a full body mount. I would probably just skin mine if we are lucky enough to take them!

I'm not sure the taxidermist is going to call back today. What's the best way to keep it fresh for mounting? It was in the 30s this morning so it cooled her down. I now have it in an ice chest with frozen water jugs around it. Will that last till tomorrow if I keep it cold? I'm scared to gut it or try and skin it because I know I'll screw it up. Thanks.
In a plastic bag in the cooler

You can case it out just leave the feet on by cutting the legs with a hacksaw carefully skin the head out being careful with the lip's eyes and at the ears. I skinned a nice bobcat out like that for a guy, but he decided he was going to tan it himself and make a wall hanging and instead if splitting the belly down the middle he split it along the white spotted belly and the gray side. It looked funny as heck not a nice job at all. Be sure to split the tail all the way to the tip as well so that it doesn't spoil and fall off.

For the record your dead wrong buddy! The reason why they get smart and educated is because of that BS thinking. Anyone who thinks that way wasn't taught right from the beginning. Take a good shot and don't just spray and pray!!!😉

Congrats on the Charlie! Here is an example of an option for it.
Well I have not much respect for coyotes in this area. My exact words for my son when I took him on his first coyote hunt this year in heavy timber ' I don't care where you hit em just put a hole in em son' ! Coyotes Here's a mount idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
Got it dropped off! My wife was the driver behind wanting to get it mounted. She saw one mounted in a doctors office 2 years ago and she's been telling me she wants one since. I told her I'm not spending the money unless it's a cool colored one. Well I had to bust out the check book.lol. Total will be $855 after taxes. 10-12 month wait. It's almost like buying a can…wait wait wait.🤣🤣
She also got to choose the pose. This is what we're going with.

Attachments

• 69308EA5-C637-46CA-B7A2-663000585AA3.jpeg
    69308EA5-C637-46CA-B7A2-663000585AA3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Well I have not much respect for coyotes in this area. My exact words for my son when I took him on his first coyote hunt this year in heavy timber ' I don't care where you hit em just put a hole in em son' ! Coyotes Here's a mount idea.
Another uneducated hunter. You need to realize your worst livestock and fawn killers are your wounded coyotes. They are Way worse at taking advantage of young livestock. All coyotes are opportunists but a wise wounded coyote can cause a lot more damage. Those that assume that coyote they shot and wounded will die are usually wrong. I would never tell a young individual or new hunter to just put a hole in them anywhere! That's how we hunters get a bad rap🤨. Always shoot to kill at your highest percentage shot. If you can't take A good shot, don't shoot or get a better shot. I have much respect for coyotes as they have bested every hunter out there and they and cockroaches will be the last ones left when we destroy ourselves. I apologize to the OP for this rant but I can't stand stupidity.

Another uneducated hunter. You need to realize your worst livestock and fawn killers are your wounded coyotes. They are Way worse at taking advantage of young livestock. All coyotes are opportunists but a wise wounded coyote can cause a lot more damage. Those that assume that coyote they shot and wounded will die are usually wrong. I would never tell a young individual or new hunter to just put a hole in them anywhere! That's how we hunters get a bad rap🤨. Always shoot to kill at your highest percentage shot. If you can't take A good shot, don't shoot or get a better shot. I have much respect for coyotes as they have bested every hunter out there and they and cockroaches will be the last ones left when we destroy ourselves. I apologize to the OP for this rant but I can't stand stupidity.
a bullet hole anywhere in a coyote is good. I've lost calves piglets and chickens to plenty of coyotes that were Not shot, hmmm wounded ones don't return!!! Cockroaches aren't welcome either has nothing to do with 'stupidity'

Anyone that has done coyote control work and learned about them will tell you that they may not like coyotes but that they respect them as an adversary and for their survival abilities as well as the way that they raise their pups. I'm glad that you and your wife got it dropped off and picked out a mount. Yes, there is a long wait for them but in the end it's worth it. I have killed a lot of three-legged coyotes, coyotes with snares on them, coyotes with buck shot in them, and even coyotes with large abscess in them that still had bullets in them. A dead coyote doesn't come back to life, but I have gone back the next day on snow cover and tracked down then killed wounded coyotes. The op got himself a very nice-looking coyote that he and his wife will enjoy, my apologies to him for hijacking his thread .

Last edited: