Got my 1000 + Yard Yote!!!

Cool, very very cool!!:D

What version and power setting were you using on the NXS? Would you change anything about the scope if it were specifically for long range yotes (lets say 400-1000 yds)?

Congrats Jeff.

Jeff: I have not used my program since the update. I usually use altitude and slp. You have had good luck w/ station pressure? It appears that you just whacked a yote at a grand so it obviously is adequate. I thought alt and slp would be closer. ps.. Love the Droid, 49 bucks seems like stealing

I have always used ststion pressure so I continued to do so. I didn't even look into other options as I remembered long ago that it was said station presure was they way to go. But maybe that has changed?? Can you tell me why Alt / slp could be better?

Thanks!
Jeff

Cool, very very cool!!:D

What version and power setting were you using on the NXS? Would you change anything about the scope if it were specifically for long range yotes (lets say 400-1000 yds)?

Congrats Jeff.

It was all the way up. It's a 5.5~22 NXS. I usually leave it up. A while back I took the 5.5~22 NXS off my 338 Lapua and changed it out for a 8~32 NXS. I shot my tightest group at 1000 yards with this scope right off the bat. But I lost 35 moa of dial up and at 32X target acqusition was a little bit of a challenge at times for me. Above all, I am a hunter and I was afraid this was going to bite me one day. So I changed it back to a 5.5~22 again. A 32X would have sure made the yote a bigger target at 1000 but it would hae been harder to get on him and the mirage also would have been worse. So to answer your question, I feel 400 t0 1000 you would be fine at 22 X on a yote. The image of the yote was big enough that I was able to pick my point of aim then move a little left for a last minute wind hold.

Hope this helps.

Jeff gun)gun)

I don't know why or if it would be better Jeff. I used it in Id for the first time and had some bugs to work out. Everyone else used exbal. Shawn dialed my dope on his exbal until I got things dialed in. It turned out that I didn't turn off the powder temp setting. lightbulb When I got that turned off I was right w/ Shawn's exbal. I did use and have since used the alt slp.

Nice shooting, Broz! Seems you've got a working system! I think you're right on re the PLRF10 with it's small, powerful beam divergence. Wish a few other manufacturers would figure that out. Wish I had a few xtra bones to put towards one...:rolleyes:

Congrats, that 300wm build has taken some animals, let us know when you score with the 300 grain Berger. Good shooting

Congrats! Thats a long, long ways and small target! 2 guys in our company have 1000+ yard coyotes....I'm not one of them...:D

Great shooting and nice explaination of how you did it!

That was a nice shot on a small target. The rangefinder must be a great unit to get ranges under those conditions.

Thanks! The RF simply works. It will go 2900 plus but it is pretty much like this. What ever you have the crosshairs on under 2500 is getting ranged. The tricky part is holding them on this small of target. That is where sand bags come into play and the release trigger really helps you stay on target too.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.