386 yard yote down!!

remingtonman_25_06

Went out early yesterday morning to a different place and tried calling. I set out the foxpro and went through a series of howls and distres calls, nothing. As I was picking up and walked not more then a couple hundred yards, I spotted a coyote walking across a flat about 500 yards away. It was not aware of my presence so I immediately sat down, got the call out and put the woodpecker distress on for a couple minutes. That got the coyotes attention real quick. She came in to 386 yards and sat down on her butt and just looked my direction. After a few more attempts to get her to come in with the woodpecker and rabbit squeals, she must have known the gig was up becuase she got up and started to walk away from me! This happens to me more then I care to admit, lol. I immediately barked and she stopped once more and sat down facing me once again. I figured I better take the shot now or never. I was using my trusty winchester model 70 classic sporter in 25-06 of course, using 100g NBT's at 3400fps. I cranked my 6-18 leupold up to 18x and then dialed up 3.1 MOA. I got the range according to my NIkon 800 right at 386 yards. I was laying prone w/bipod and after a quick breath slowly started the crosshairs up to her chest. When they reached, I touched off the 2.5# trigger and instantly saw the dog flip over backwards, a perfect hit!! I was pretty happy with the result anyways. Even though she didn't come in, she didn't go out!! The 100g NBT left about a silver dollar size hole, not to bad actually this time. The coyote was a big old female, weighing close to 20 lbs. I have pics but like I always say, at a friends house and not really able to put them up now. I"ll try when I get more time. Just thought I'd share another coyote hunt with you all. Have a good one.

qosqvr.jpg

This is afterall longrangehunting.com, don't try to call them in, keep them out there and squeeze that trigger :)

Oh wait, that's what ya did, Congrats!

Not exactly long range.....
Took my 14 yr old daughter hunting last week, she said "Daddy look at that cat!" Out to the right of us in the pasture was a coyote trotting between cows. I would have let her shoot if it wasn't for the cows. Took her gun a Remington model 7, 7.08 I put together with a few mods, tracked the target until it passed between the livestock and dropped it. She asked where I shot it and I replied "in the head". Anyway, lasered the stand from the coyote and came out to 248 yds. Not bad for an off hand head shot on a trotting target between cows. She was impressed.

Off hand head shot at 248 is really good. I have not tried one myself at that kind of yardage. Way to go!

Way to go R-man 25-06 ,

There are so many people who predator call now-days an electronic caller can be a negative.

I use mine very sparingly.
When you set-up make sure your scent is blowing towards open country -that way the only way they can smell you is to come out in the open.
Mating season is here for yotes -female invitation -pup distress -male challenge for 20-30 seconds then wait 2-3 minutes and repeat.
I stay on stands 25-30 min -people who do the run and gun 10-12 min. stands only kill the dumb small coyotes .
I have killed many coyotes while retrieving the caller.....

Well great shot- from one 25-06 guy to another !!!!!ME

Thanks for the tips Mike. I'll be sure and try them. Thats right mating season is here or coming quickly. I"ve been starting to see most of them paired up for the last week or so actually around here.

coyotes hang up sometimes

Coyotes that temporarily respond to a call and then hangup and display laziness are simply following their born with "senses".
Those senses are basiclly "a feeling that soemthing is not right"...but they "dont know what"....they just know its not a good idea.
Sometimes they'll linger but very seldom that you can lure them in any closer.
The more calling you do the worse it gets.
Thats why its wrong to "over-call" ,their senses kick-in
Calling is supposed to be short to create a mystique ...make them want to hunt you down.
My calling rifle is capable of accurate 300 yard shots for this very reason.
Good luck !
Alberta AL

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.