338 Win for deer

7ultra

I just bought a Winchester Model 70 Sporter LT in 338 Win. I bought it in mind for the big stuff like moose or elk, but will most likely only get a shot a some wisconsin whitetails with it. What would be a good bullet/bullet weight to go with.
Thanks

7Ultra, I think a 200 grainer would do you pretty good. It isn't so heavy that you need a 3foot barrel to propel, but wouldn't really have to worry about meat damage as much since its still pretty heavy. Hope that answered your question.

The 210 nosler works great on deer size game, I have used it quite a bit in the 338 and 338-06. Never had one fail. Always shot them as fast as I could get them to go with any accuracy.

I have tamed the 338 Win Mag down for Whitetails by loading 180 Nosler Ballistc tips. Using a mild charge of 4895 for 2700-2800 fps. This makes it equal to 30-06 with
bit more frontal area. If full loads with
heavy partitian bullets are used there won't
be enough meat left for supper. On positive side practicing and carrying my 338 Win Mag
rifle on Penn Whitetail hunts made shooting same very natural and contributed IMHO to success when same rifle (and hot 210 Nosler loads) met a number of Elk out West. Its a very versital cartridge, enjoy. rjb
smile.gif

[ 05-10-2004: Message edited by: rjb ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts