338 win mag ,338-378 weathetby or 264 win mag for deer up to 700 yards

dgr416

I have rifles in 338 win mag ,338-378 weatherby and 264 win mag .I want to use them on deer out to 700 yards .Dont laugh at the 338-378 weatherby it's a flat shooter and with the brake on it kicks like a 270 win and it shoots down to an inch groups at 300 yards .I want lighter bullets for the 338 caliber rifles so they shoot flatter and kick less .The 264vwin mag is a ruger with 24 inch barrel .I am wondering is any of y'all had used these calibers on deer .I used the 338 win mag forever but it was not a long range bullet .Which bullets do y'all think woukd be best ?

With 700 yards as the range limit......any would work. If you add big game to the equation....I would go with the two larger calibers. My wife's .338 WM has adequate velocity at 700 for reliable bullet expansion and reasonable bullet drop and drift. Though, her personal range limit is 500 or so with ideal shooting conditions! memtb

Ignoring the range limit for the time being, it's important to understand the components of recoil before assuming some concepts.

Simply using a lighter bullet will not necessarily insure less recoil since bullet weight is only piece of the puzzle. Consider also the term 'ejecta' (powder) as playing a role in the computation for recoil. Here are a couple of calculators which can help this understanding in a plug-n-play format. These calculators can help with the selection of different bullets as well based on your criteria.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmrecoil-5.1.cgi

Enjoy!:)

Since I have tested loads on my recoil slide I am willing to bet lighter bullets will produce noticibly less recoil every time.

I did not state that lighter bullet would not reduce recoil.

The implication once again is that bullet weight is not the only component to the calculation and effect of recoil.

By using a calculator, the OP has the option of testing some information ahead of making purchases.

No, a calculator is not the end all answer to this question but merely a chance to experiment with the variables before spending money.

Any of them should get the job done on deer if you are up to making the shot. The 264 Win mag with the short barrel really hurts it.

I can use up to 250 grain bullets in the 338-378 no problem .I was thinking of 250 grain serria boattail bullets .The 264 shoots awesome with 155 grain lapua megatip bullets but they only have a bc of .377 and I can use them to 400 yards but that's it .The 264 has a funky throat too .The 338 win mag has a short factory throat too so it won't shoot Accubonds or many others .The 338-378 with a 200 grain bullet is like shooting a 22-250 just have to see which bullet shoots good .I didn't try Accubonds in it but my 338 win mag sprayed them in a pattern and I have shot 3/4 inch groups with that rifle at 200 yards .

I can use up to 250 grain bullets in the 338-378 no problem .I was thinking of 250 grain serria boattail bullets .The 264 shoots awesome with 155 grain lapua megatip bullets but they only have a bc of .377 and I can use them to 400 yards but that's it .The 264 has a funky throat too .The 338 win mag has a short factory throat too so it won't shoot Accubonds or many others .The 338-378 with a 200 grain bullet is like shooting a 22-250 just have to see which bullet shoots good .I didn't try Accubonds in it but my 338 win mag sprayed them in a pattern and I have shot 3/4 inch groups with that rifle at 200 yards .
My vote would be your 264 with hornady 140 sst,s

Go with the .264 Mag. My Uncle routinely used his out to 600+ yards in Utah during the Late '50s and 60s.

He generally used the 130 gr Sierra for those hunts.

Today's bullets are far better in terms of accuracy, exterior and terminal ballistics.

The larger calibers will, of course, give a bit better performance during windy conditions, but the price paid in recoil management outweighs it.

338/378 200 gr partition and go. Nothing wrong with the others but man to I like those partitions out of mine especially on deer. I use my 340 on elk with 250 gr partitions. I like the flatter shooting rounds I love 115 gr accubonds out of the 257 wtby as well real similar to 264. Your barrel being a couple inches short will lose a little velocity. I dont shoot 257 on deer outside 500 (personal choice) but man does it devistate coyotes haha

I have the Ruger Hawkeye 1:8 twist 24 inch barrel I use the 143 eldx an H1000 my only 2 kills were bucks 1st was 375 yards an the other was 396 yards..

I have rifles in 338 win mag ,338-378 weatherby and 264 win mag .I want to use them on deer out to 700 yards .Dont laugh at the 338-378 weatherby it's a flat shooter and with the brake on it kicks like a 270 win and it shoots down to an inch groups at 300 yards .I want lighter bullets for the 338 caliber rifles so they shoot flatter and kick less .The 264vwin mag is a ruger with 24 inch barrel .I am wondering is any of y'all had used these calibers on deer .I used the 338 win mag forever but it was not a long range bullet .Which bullets do y'all think woukd be best ?
I have personally used the 264 for deer and elk. 600 yards for elk. 800 to 1000 for deer. Recoil is mild but man the 264 is great. But I am bias.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.