300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag

300 WM is hands down the better LR shooter. Inside 600 yards its pretty much dead even, however there is a lot more high BC bullets for .30 cal then .338 cal, and the 300 WM will drive them faster, giving you the advantage at LR.

The 338 WM has never really been a LR round. Not to say it wont work that far, but I would definately go with the .300 for 1K or 1200.

I just bought a remmy 700 stainless 300 WM 2 weeks ago, already put about 100 rounds through it shooting 208gr. A-Max bullets and when i get the ballistics right out past 500meters, I know this thing is going to be a tack driver. gun)So far I am very pleased with the 300 WM. Get it you won't be disappointed.

I own both and shoot them quit often. The 300 I would trust out to 1500 with ease. The 338 after 700 yds with my loads it dives pretty quick. I think the 300 might go farther just I dont have any more distance on my range. That is with a 180 grain spt

338WM or 300WM is a tough choice for me. I shoot both often, NRA LR targets for the 300 and hunting at close to moderate ranges with the 338.

I recently finished a project on a factory remington 700 Sendero. Installed a Satern 28 inch, 1-9 twist medium-heavy barrel with a 338 Win Mag match chamber throated for a 3.410 OAL so loaded rounds still function through magazine.

I'm shooting the 300 Sierra's with moly at 2575 avg fps. Just started with load data but, so far RL-19 at 65.0gr is working best. Weapon has only been tested at 600 yrds and shoots .7 MOA out of the gate. I'll be able to finish testing out to 1000 next week.

This combo, if it works out, delivers approx 2700 lbs at 500, 1700lbs at 1000yrds and 1400 lbs at 1200yrds.
This project was just an attempt to step up my own 338 Winnie's game at distance.

I posted to get some feedback on shooting the 300 Matchking's out of the 338 WM. So far the numbers on energy, wind drift and retained velocity look encouraging.

I personally think the 300 Win Mag is an LR Shooting/Tactical/Hunting all time great.

I would look at the 338 RUM. More horsepower and better ballistics for those 1200 yd shots.

JD338

ICAN,

JD and LongReach are spot on. Those RUM, Lapua and Edge class 338's are in their own league. Comparing them to a 338 WIN MAG, all shooting 300 Seirras, is like comparing a corvette to a chevette when pounding big critters at 1000+ yrds. My project was intended to bridge the gap between my 300 WM and 338 Lapua at moderate ranges primarily to shoot feral pigs here on post.

I'm assigned to the AMU currently on the Service Rifle team. Found this forum on a random search. Looking forward to learning/sharing lots of good info.

What would you chose if you were me and you wanted to hunt deer to elk sized game out as far as 1200 yds. I think the 338 balistics are superior but I dont know how much so in the Win Mag case?????

PLEASE ADD YOU 2 CENTS
Hello again.. I see your looking for a gun too use for elk hunting. Have you looked at sniper central website?? The 300 win mag does make it out there too 1ooo yards, but power wise too knock a elk down , so they say, it needs at least 1300 lbs of energy too do it.. I still like the idea of a lethal kill in the kill zone obviously . So im pretty sure the gun would do it..
I do have a ruger m77 with magna port barrell, 300 win mag, topped with a nikon 4 to 12 scope with the mil dots. One heed of warning, they all kick, once you get to the 300 and 338 calibers.. Ouch at the range, but you wont know at an elk or a animal of any sort, you know how the adrenaline kicks in.
I have shot mine with factory ammo out too 600 yards, and it shoots great and decent killing size groups, i just bought a reloading set, so im sure im gonna play a lot of games now just for bragging rights.. I also shoot 600 yards with my target 308, factory bullets, but i did shoot 4 bullets handloaded from my brothers reloader, thats why i bought one now.. hint hint,, so much more power, less lines used up in your scope.. Anyways, just thought i'd chat, your in honeoye falls, im in caledonia, my sister is here with her 3 children and i cant sleep. hahahaha... might as well start loadin shells huh.

The 338 sure has alot of power & ballistics for medium to what most people call long range. But I think the 338 case needs more powder cap. to shoot to long range. To me it is easy & the 300WM outruns it, but when you go to a bigger 338 case, the tide suddenly turns. So for me, I would go with the 300WM comparing these 2, but if you want a real stud, go to the 338RUM or Edge.

I have both, in indentical Ruger M77 MkII's. Then I can figure out which is best. Trying to work up loads for the .338 Win Mag now.

I have a .338WM and it shoots the 300 SMK real well. Velocity spread is about 8 fps for and average of 2433 fps. The load is with 69grn of ADI 2213SC. This load is mild to shoot from my 9.5 lb Sako with brake.

If you have all the other equipment required for long range shooting then the .338WM with 300 SMK will deliver quite a thump at 1000yds on any animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.