Throat life for 338 Win. Mag.

wildcat westerner

While it's generally acknowledged that a 6.5x284's throat is toast at 1,000 rounds, I have never seen any estimates for a .338 Win. Magnum throat life. I would appreciate your insights.

WW

I own a M700 SST/SYN in 338wm I bought back in 1993 that has at least 1400 reloads through it. It is such an accurate rifle I loved to shoot it. I NEVER shot it enough to ever let the receiver or barrel get to hot to touch.
Most were 71-73.5 grains of RL-19 under a 225 NAB. Shot it earlier this year for reasons of nostalgia and it still shot all three shots touching at 100 yards. Used the same reloads from my 2008 elk trip no less.
I did quite some time ago replace the factory stock with a HS precision stock.

My guess is same as others you should easily get 2500 rounds as long as you never allow the receiver or barrel to heat up to hot to touch.

While it's generally acknowledged that a 6.5x284's throat is toast at 1,000 rounds, I have never seen any estimates for a .338 Win. Magnum throat life. I would appreciate your insights.

WW
A 6.5-284 throat could last +2500 rounds easily if you used it properly with the intent of having a long barrel life. 338 win mag would last an extremely long time if cared for properly or pretty short if abused. When i released my 7mm Allen Magnum back in 2005, everyone screamed at me that i would be burning throats out before i could find a good load. If not familiar, the 7mm AM is a 338 lapua, necked down and improved to my shoulder and body taper design. 195-200 gr bullet at +3300 fps. 17 years later and hundreds of these rifles out in the field i have yet to have one come back with a burnt throat. I give clear directions on how these rifles should be used and what will happen if these are not followed. Throat life is much more dependent on use then chambering. I have had several personal 7mm AM rifles with over 1000 rounds down the barrels and still capable of 3/4 moa at 1/2 mile.