338 win mag ,338-378 weathetby or 264 win mag for deer up to 700 yards

I am using a 338 Win Mag in a Ruger Mark 11 in a 24" barrel. Getting 3230 fps out of it with a 200 gr. Accubond using Win 760 powder 70 gr+ in Winchester case w/ Fed. 210 primers. Start you load off at 70 grs and go up from there watching for pressure signs. Generally you can go up at .5 grs at at time to fine your max powder load. Groups at under 1/2" @ 100 yds. It's became my go to rifle. Having one being built with a 26" barrel. I have a muzzle brake on Ruger, and having one placed on my new rifle too. I do weight all my brass, and cut the necks, and other things to the brass. should shot out to 600 yds.

I'm a 264 Win Mag bigot. That was the first rifle I purchased with my paper route money at 14 yrs of age. I would take it on any hunt but bear. It has been a DRT (dead right there) rifle. I've loaded it for several different bullets, and it loved all but a batch of one manufacturer. (I'll not say which, as it may have simply been a bad batch.)

But if I had a pair of 338s in the safe, and my anticipated range was going to be well over 400 yards, I'd leave my beloved 264 in the safe and take a 338 with me on that hunt. (No disrespect meant for the 264.)

I will answer this like I answered a similar question between the 338 W/M, 7X64, and the 264 W/M. if you have a tight twist on any of them they all go out and take game well.
The heavy twist 264 W/M kicks the least of them all in your case if they all have muzzle brakes.
I have a 338 W/M and it kicks the least between all my fave deer guns. now that my 270 Win has a muzzle brake I can not say that any longer.
out of your 3 rifles I would use the 264 W/M but I would rebarrel it with a 1:8" or 1:7" twist barrel then shoot the heavy 6.5MM slugs from Berger and Nosler.

I will answer this like I answered a similar question between the 338 W/M, 7X64, and the 264 W/M. if you have a tight twist on any of them they all go out and take game well.
The heavy twist 264 W/M kicks the least of them all in your case if they all have muzzle brakes.
I have a 338 W/M and it kicks the least between all my fave deer guns. now that my 270 Win has a muzzle brake I can not say that any longer.
out of your 3 rifles I would use the 264 W/M but I would rebarrel it with a 1:8" or 1:7" twist barrel then shoot the heavy 6.5MM slugs from Berger and Nosler.
With my personal experience, not worth any thing but opinion, I totally support this. Maybe some thing heavier for elk, but the 264 works good on them too, to 600.

If you want 700 yds performance, I have owned 264 win. I was not happy with wind drift in hunting situations with 140 gr. bullets, Across valleys where you cannot see wind movement. I would choose one of the 338 rifles. The 338, 225 gr. bullets seems to be the magical weight. Bearable recoil, Good SD and BC and equals the Foot Pounds Energy of a 375 HH at 500 yards.

I have some Barnes 210 grain also but not sure if they even make them any more for .338 .I tried nosler partitions 210 grain in my 338 win mag shot deer up close the bullets zipped through like soilids .I had the same thing happen with partitions in 300 win mag up close too.These lapula 155 grain mega tips expand the most wicked as any bullet ever .They are almost like a broadhead the way they expand I found one in a row I shot it went all most 4 feet from head to rear end and was in perfict petals .I am going to try the 225 grain Accubonds out of my 338-378 they were terrible in my 338win mag shot 4 to 6 inch groups at 100 yards in two rifles .They both liked speer Grand Slam 225 grain bullets shot 3/4 inch at 200 yards with just a 3x9 Nikon scope .

338 W.Mag 200gr Accubond, Fed-210primers, Winchester 760 powder(70+grs.), 3230 fps, fpe 4633 at muzzel. Last animals shot were Black wildebeest, Blesbuck, Common Impala. Impala when down in it's tracks, Wildebeest withing 50 yds, and blesbuck in 30+ yds. A black back Jackel running @ 50+ yrds. 4 for 4 rounds. Total of 7 rounds fired, 3 to check rifle, and 4 at game animals.

Last edited:
First let's start with witch one of the rifles when you pick it up and shoot feels Amazing?

But my choice would be the 338-378 and 300 gr bergers with either H-1000 or Re-33 .
I have messed with the 338's so much it's hard for me to put them down . If there is even a slight chance you will see Elk on the trip then the 338-378 is my choice !
Best of Luck on you Hunt !!

Rum Man

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.