300 win mag on deer?

gilmillan1

Hello,

I just ordered a 300 win mag custom rifle, and my intention is to shoot it at long range. I primarily hunt deer, and over the years, I have been stretching my limits. I plan to shoot deer at 1000 with the win mag. My buddy and I were talking about it, and he wanted to get a 300 win mag as well, but since we both have never had that caliber, we were wondering how devastating was the 300 win mag on deer at distances between 250-500 yards. I have other rifles with which I can shoot deer at those distances and not worry about damaging the meat too much. However, my buddy wants to settle in one custom rifle only. I had originally recommended a 7mm rem mag as an "all purpose gun," since he was only going to have one nice custom rifle. However, we were both wondering if it would be better just to go with the 300 win mag and have more shooting power at longer distances. My buddy also has a 270 win, but it is not an accurate gun.

any input is well appreciated.

thank you,

Gil

.300WM will put a pretty good smack on a deer inside of a grand...

I think the 7 Mag is the most universal caliber there is...But everyone has their own different opinions. You can load it hot with some light 140's a d get some smokin speeds out of it, or charge it up with some 180 Bergers for some heavy thumpin.

If your buddy wants a 7mm 1K yard deer caliber, the 7mmSTW is also right up his alley. It's a little hotter than the 7Mag, but just barely slightly slower than the 7RUM. I have found that the 168 & 180 Bergers group insanely nice out of my STW with a 9.25" twist 26" barrel, but a 1:9 would be even better (if that's possible) for the big 180's.

For a one rifle battery, I think a 300 Win Mag is as good as it gets.

Agreed. The 300winmag is very popular so everyone makes brass for it. Being a 30 cal you have virtually infinite bullet choices (although for longrange work, the 215grain berger hybrid is tough to beat)

As for damaging meat with shots inside 500, that's all about bullet selection and shot placement. I would not be concerned.

ive shot a truck load of deer between 250-500 with my 300 win mag using 165 ballistic tips and never had a problem with excessive meat damage. Keep in mind that at 300 yards your bullet is going to only be traveling at about the speed a 06 shoots the same bullet at 200. Shot placement is much more a determening factor in meat loss that which bullet you use. Shoot them in the meat with any bullet and your going to loose meat. Shoot them behind the shoulder with about any bullet and all youll loose is ribs and i dont bother with deer ribs anyway. Does the 300 kill better then a the 7mag. I dont know. It almost seems like it to me but either will get the job done at 500 yards.

I'm primarily a deer/antelope hunter, shooting to 1000 yards. I use both a 6.5-284 with 140 VLD's and a 300WM with 210 VLD's. Hit them in the heart/lung area at any range and there there will be little difference in effect or meat damage. The major difference between the use of my two rifles is weight. For me personally, for shoot ability and accuracy at long range, I can use 3# of less weight with the 6.5-284 at 10#. The 300WM tips at 13#. If I'm doing a lot of footwork I like the 6.5. If I'm mostly glassing big bodied Alberta mulies with the chance of a shot at 1000 yards or more, I like the 300WM. Overall though, I'd have no problem using either one for deer.

Gosh that's a hard one to call, I don't see a difference in the two at all for deer hunting. I have been going threw this same decision making process for my wife's rifle 7mm or 30 cal. The more I look at the 7mm I really see the versatility in bullet weights but a voice in the back of my head keeps saying "30cal is better Jon". I guess for me the decision is going to come down to a last minute 50/50 pick. Or if some one want to trade for something then I will be forced towards the decision.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the .300 Win Mag or the 7MM Mag. However, my personal choice is the .300 Win Mag. The .300 Win Mag is my go to caliber/chamber from antelope size game and up loaded with 200gr+ pills.

As far as your devastation question, as always shot placement is key! :D

1009101045A.jpg

(I harvested with 200 NAB off SAKO M995 .300 Win Mag, 2011)

1009100719B.jpg

(My buddy harvested with 180gr Berger VLD off Weatherby 7MM Mag, 2011)

Both speed goats were taken between 200 and 250 yards, heart/lung area and were DRT. Other than a couple of busted ribs, no serious meat damage on the little critters.

Good luck!

ADDED: I've also used 178 and 208 A-Max on antelope and deer with similar results. I'm pretty sure that if you hit any bones, i.e., shoulders, it'll be a different story.

Last edited:
Feenix, that's a good, and literal, side x side comparison. Good to know that they both had instantaneous devastating affects, and minimal meat damage.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.