338 Sin

My scope took a dump so I am waiting on the new pst to arrive which should be today. This is getting expensive haha. Lrlth should have his by the weekend too.

Have bullets loaded and ready. I am shooting this weekend if UPS delivers. Will be prarie dog shooting out by the range so hope to get a doggie kill with it. I have never been overgunned. I have 1000 rounds 22 long rifle, 100 rounds 220 weatherby rocket and 100 rounds 22-250 loaded. After those are shot up all I have left is the 338 SIN with me.

My scope took a dump so I am waiting on the new pst to arrive which should be today. This is getting expensive haha. Lrlth should have his by the weekend too.

I guess the Crossfire wasn't up to the task. Good call moving up to the PST. I was thinking about one too, but I jumped on one of the FFP Bushnell's right before they switched models.

Doesn't look like I'll have a Sin up and running for my Texas hog hunt but hopefully will for a muley and elk hunt later this year.

FedEx arrived yesterday and I'm leaving for three weeks tonite. So quick update. Used 330 Dakota brass to fireform yesterday. Necked them up to 35 caliber then back down to 338 a little at a time till I got proper headspace off the shoulder. Fireform went well yesterday. Loaded some 225's and 300's in the new fireformed cases. Started with what I considered way light and went up with five increasing loads in each weight bullet to get an idea how much powder to load for some group tests. Only used Magpro in each with 215 primers. Once I get that max I can extrapolate off that for other powders.

Did not reach max in either. I was over 3200 fps with the 225's and over 2700 fps with the 300's with room to continue increasing the charge. Problem is that will be in about three weeks when I return. Appears this will be a great 338 that is very efficient in short barrels. My test barrel is 24". The rifle weighs 6 3/8 pounds. This is as much power as possible in a light rifle since it fits on a shorter, lighter action than the full length RUM's.

I will give a complete report with different powders and max loads when I return and know this isn't much. But it does show this cartridge is very efficient in short barrel lightweight versions. I think it will be everything I thought it would be when I first saw the design.

Thanks LTLR, I will be doing more testing once my range reopens (hopefully this weekend). I have a ton more brass to use and a new pound of mag pro to keep testing away.

...and know this isn't much. But it does show this cartridge is very efficient in short barrel lightweight versions. I think it will be everything I thought it would be when I first saw the design.

LTLR, this is way more than nothing and I for one appreciate the post. Good info. Thanks!!!

This looks like it will be a great mountain packing rifle built on the standard LA receivers.

Question- For a Savage, what needs to be done to the mag to get the 338 Sin to feed reliably, say from an original old 110 7mm Rem Mag?

Great posts also... It seems that some have not understood the reason for the cartridge. I see this for ANY action that the mag box cannot be extended(or is difficult to extend anyway) to fit the longer RUMs and Lapua Magnum chamberings, actions like the Savages. That does not mean it is not targeting the Rugers, etc. The 338 Sin chambering is an option for all the actions that are more difficult to extend the mag box on. No point in the extra work of working on the mag box to fit the Lapua/whatever with the Sin around. Great work guys. This definitely fills a niche.

Another niche would be a ballistically decent 338 limited to and designed around short action receivers. Whatever happens to be the biggest bolt face possible and build rom there. That might give the short action guys a viable option.

It will probably be a while before I could work out a short action round but the 338-300wsm is pretty much that.

The mag on a Savage will have to have the lips tweaked a little out but other than that they feed fine. Some of the push feed rifles need the bolt face opened about .008" but the CRF work great as is.

I considered to 338 SIN, but went with a 338 Norma mag for my most recent rifle purchase. It too fits nicely an a Rem 700 LA 3.6" magazine but has a bit more muzzle velocity and range. I suppose if efficiency. short barrels, and long barrel life are the most important criteria the 338 Spectre should be king of the hill.

I have a rem 700 la. Would the sin be a great choice for a 338

Darrin

Devin will be converting my Rem. LA ( Sendero ) to a .338 Sin in the next couple of months...if he isn't too busy. Went to his shop and he showed me how the round would sit in the magazine....plenty of room. I'm looking to shoot the 250's and maybe even the Hornady 285...as was a suggestion from Devin.

Devin is a great guy to work with...does great work, is very knowledgeable and quickly answers questions.....Get in touch with him...tell him what you'd like to do and he'll give you a recommendation.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.