338 Sin

If you need some, I could sell you what you need to get you by if they are backordered.
Let me know how many you need. I have an extra box of 500 300gr SMK's

I picked up a pound of N570 powder, ordered some AA magpro too, and got some 300gr smk's (thanks true blue). I will be loading some shells this weekend and I am hoping to shoot some this weekend/next week. This should be pretty exciting now.

No, I wish I had a chance, I have been swamped with barrels and I am trying to get caught up because on Friday I am going to take a day off and meet up with Long Time Long Ranger. I am going to try and pop a couple of rounds off before than but as it looks I might not make it. We still have tons of snow up here which doesn't help anything.

With the help of LTLR we have found good easy to use brass for the 338 sin and it is made by norma too. This cartridge should really shine now as we don't have to use remington brass.

I did some case capacity comparisons today using H-870 powder. The 330 Dakota held 89.5 grains, 340 wby held 98grains, 338 SIN held 102.5 grains and the 338 RUM held 107 grains. So judging by that the Sin should shoot half way between the 340 wby and 338 RUM. On average there is about 125 fps difference between the 340 wby and the 338 and 338-300 RUM and 338 Lapua with a 300 grain bullet. Out of a 30 inch barrel the 338 and 338-300 RUM's and the 338 Lapua average a little over 2800 fps with a 300 grain bullet and the 340 wby averages a little over 2700 fps with same bullet. So this would put the SIN somewhere in the high 2700's with a 300 grainer. Just not a lot of difference with 338's in this range. Just take your pick because you can easily do with one what you can with the other. 100 fps just isn't much difference. I know my 340 wby is a great 1000 yard elk rifle just like my RUM's. The beauty of the SIN is that it will do it on 30-06 length actions with no modifications.

I am loading up several bullet weights with several different powders to try. I will post the results as I shoot them. This type case design typically does well in shorter barrels and I am trying them in a 24 3/8" barrel.

Last edited:
LTLR,

Nice post.

In the high 2700 for the 338 sin using 300 gr. would be pretty amazing. It's getting even more interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

Have no idea yet so don't know. But by powder capacity in comparison to the others I have looks like it should easily fall into the 2700's. My 340 wby shoots the 300 SMK at 2730 fps out of a 28" barrel for top accuracy load. The SIN holds 5-6 more grains of powder so we will see soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.