Next Sin Cartridge?

6.5. If the 120 would hold together at the projected velocity that LTLR(3700-3800) is suggesting, I see one in my future. Im looking forward to seeing the testing commence.

The 142gr SMK has alot higher BC then the 120gr and the SMK has a thick jacket which should hold up to that vel. no problem, I wonder if wildcatt bullets will ever start making 6.5 bullets in the future a 168 ULD RBBT bullet would be perfect just like Kirbys 6.5 AM. Or Cutting Edge has a 130gr VLD mono bullet.

If Devin starts making these in prefitt savage barrels i might pick up a savage in 7 mag and thread it on. just something to think about.

I believe the 270 SIN is the best choice and I would be in line for one. It would offer something that is not already availible.
Another 6.5 , 7mm or 30 cal and I'll puke. Really,how many of them can we actually Stomach! So many over lap in perforance (wsm vs. RSUM etc). As for Bullet selection defense for 7's and 30's there like KOOL-AID flavors. Really, ya need a 2 or 3 grain difference to next bullet size? Thats like saying I PREFER KIWI LIME TO KIWI LEMON KOOL-AID. Sorry, little bit of a rant, but I feel better now.gun)
I may become the founder of a new club "NASTC" Not Another Seven or Thirty Cartridge" :D
So pretty please do the 270Sin first :)

Gene R

I am about as big of a 270 fan as exists anywhere, BUDLIGHT may top me but not by much. The problem with the 270 is that we have been a victim of its success. According to Brian at Berger Bullets, the 270 market is trapped by legions of 1 in 10 twist barrels that are currently in existence. The 1 in 10 in a 270 apparently will not accurately stabilize a bullet with more than a 530bc. Hence the Berger .530 bc 150 gr offering. To be effective at the superranges that this board specializes in, the bullet has to be north of .600 bc and the velocity over 3200fps in this size round.

So as sad as that is for me to say- a 270 sin without a 1 in 9 twist barrel and a manufacturer bold enough to mold a .650 bc 155gr bullet, would be a sin.

So i vote for the 7mm. Ill buy a 6,5 later.

Just dont tell Jack O'Conner if you see him, that I'm a traitor.

I hope I won't be bumping into him (Jack O) anytime soon. The last time I saw him was just before he died on a hunting trip in the Bull Mountains of Montana. He got a nice deer on the trip.

I am about as big of a 270 fan as exists anywhere, BUDLIGHT may top me but not by much. The problem with the 270 is that we have been a victim of its success. According to Brian at Berger Bullets, the 270 market is trapped by legions of 1 in 10 twist barrels that are currently in existence. The 1 in 10 in a 270 apparently will not accurately stabilize a bullet with more than a 530bc. Hence the Berger .530 bc 150 gr offering. To be effective at the superranges that this board specializes in, the bullet has to be north of .600 bc and the velocity over 3200fps in this size round.

So as sad as that is for me to say- a 270 sin without a 1 in 9 twist barrel and a manufacturer bold enough to mold a .650 bc 155gr bullet, would be a sin.

So i vote for the 7mm. Ill buy a 6,5 later.

Just dont tell Jack O'Conner if you see him, that I'm a traitor.

True about twist, but thats with factory barrels. In this case we're talking about ordering barrels and wildcatting. 1:9 twist even 1:8 are avalible from barrel makers. I just ordered one for a build. So no reason to jump to the darkside," metric" :D.

Gene

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.