Next Sin Cartridge?

I too love the 6.5... barrel life? Heh, I was more serious than joking. Don't get me wrong, a ZOMG laser beam of death would be pretty cool. Better hope your find your accuracy load REAL fast...cause if not: "Hey WOW, I found it! Umm...**** throat just died :( " heh

Then again, I do not know that for sure either! It would be interesting to find out... on some one elses dime!

Good Times though!
Gary

I have a 6.5 stw with over 700 rounds and it still shoots great. I expect another 700 with it. I think it depends quite a bit on how the guy takes care of it. I have never let my barrel get hot. Three shots would be the most ever through it at one time.

For a Pure Hunting Rifle, that is a good point! One of these days I need to build a PHR again. I shoot a heck of a lot more than a hunt to be honest.

Sin, do you pack a pinch of Pixie Dust with those? :D

Gary

LTLR nailed the point I was half jokingly hinting at on .35 cal. Real good at killing things though. And the point of getting rocked is all too true!

Have a good one,
Gary

Sorry re read my post and yours and was not trying to come off as an asshat . Just missed your humor a 16 hour work day can do that to ya. Now if there was a properly constructed bullet somewhere between 300-320 grains in .358 that could be stuffed into the Sin case with a 26 tube boy oh boy could a guy have some reach and not get thumped as bad as one of them big 375's. If it was shaped right and the bc was where it was needed to be I figure it could give most of the less than ritzy 338's a good run. Not the 338-378 or 338 Allen though plus some others that i have no clue about that you more experienced and educated shooters know of or currently work with. Love me Whelen kills em dead and never have to worry about blood trails ever just aint got the reach. Still though it is just a pipe dream for me. But if you are going to have delusions you might as well go for the really satisfying ones!

@Hypersonic,

Naw, I was kidding around. I understand long hot days all too well! A good friend of mine has a wheelen, and they do get the job done for sure.

Have a good one!
Gary
P.S. I do wish some one would bring out some relatively high BC 35 cal rifle bullets though.

I guess I'm not a hyper velocity guy, the only thing I can see this level of speed in a 6.5 gaining is about 3 MOA elevation at 1000yrds compared to a 140 Berger fired at 3200. All other points a cartridge that you are stuck with low BC copper bullets are worse, more wind drift, less energy and less range with a high operating cost.

How awesome has the 6.5 RUM been, almost anything you see on it someone lays out the 6.5 STW as being the max that is viable. If you can get guys hooked on it and supply them barrels, I guess someone may be an evil genius :D

The 6.5 RUM is to much I agree. This cartridge will be interesting because it is so much shorter and fatter than the STW so a completly different burn. Looking at the case design I don't think it will be any harder or maybe not as hard on barrels as the stw. Just guessing though until I shoot one quite a bit. I love to shoot my STW and it has amazing ballistics. The problem is the long 140 bergers are single shots in it. With the short SIN they will easily feed through the magazine with +stw performance. I am willing to be a guinnea pig and try one to find out. Flat shooting high velocity just makes shooting at stuff so much fun. With velocity comes tremendous boom flop effect with a shot through the chest. With a mil dot or good trajectory scope flat shooting rifles are very nice not having to fool with clicks. More velocity is better than less velocity any time for me.

Back in the 90's when I did so many 338-300 RUM's people were amazed at the sheer power when hitting game with 300 fps more velocity than the 338 winchester on there standard magnum action. Then they would shoot something with my 338-378 wby and just say wow! I want one of those. Bumping the velocity another 200-300 fps made that much difference again. Velocity makes quite a difference in hunting with the effect on game, wind drift and number of yards you stay in the kill zone at long range. It is not just about clicks.

I'm really curious to see what it does and see what case design will contribute. It seems like a trade of though since it will surely blow up the Bergers so then a guy has to drop down to much poorer BC bullets which kinda puts the LR parachute on it with kinda seems like a trade of to me, I could see it be awesome with the CE bullet if that bullet was taken into design consideration. Having to tie on some more elevation doesn't bother me but having more wind drift does, I shoot is such variable winds that the high BC wind bucking bullet are much more appealing.
I can run the 140 Bergers with my 270 WSM up to and past blowing and it seems right at the 3340-3350 mark is where they go to crap with a new barrel and after about 800 shots then it seems to just go all to crap.
I guess I can see the laser beam of death idea, I was quite impressed with the 110TTSX at 3700 out of my 270 WSM it made shooting coyotes kinda like shooting gophers with a 22-250 which will all ways put a smile on a guys face :D

bigngreen, I see exactly where your coming from. I have a lot of the thoughts you do. If my stw is at the berger max then this will blow them up. CE makes a .560 130 grain monometal which could probably be pushed 3600-3700 fps with the SIN. All of this is guessing until we shoot one. I know some guys having good success with the gs bullet in 264 and have shot those through elk.

I have not shot the 130 grain ce bullet but so far have had good luck with other CE bullets and if they do well in alaska I am trying the 130's in my 6.5 stw. Maybe I can have a 6.5 SIN for a Christmad present and then I will know for sure what it does in it. But a .56 bc at 3600 fps wouldn't be a bad gun to shoot.

Last edited:
Very amazing, the 6.5 Sin would be. Asuming 140 gr. Berger at 3400 ft/sec
At 5000 ft elevation it whips my 338 Edge with 300 SMK @ MV 2832 ft/sec
in the following departments using G7 BC on both:

In the supersonic department by 175 yards for a total distance of 2225 yards!
In the vertical department beats it by 7.3 MOA (6.4 feet) at 1000 yards only needing 16.1 MOA
Wow, it would even whip it in the wind department by 0.4 MOA (just over 4 inches) only needing 3.6 MOA on a 10 mph wind at 1000 yards

Eaglet is going crazy.... remember the wind is 10 mph and now we take spin drift in the equation:

Note: 6.5mm with a twist of 8:1 RT and the Edge with a twist of 10:1 RT

When the wind is coming from Left to Right
6.5mm needs adjustment of: 4.1 moa
Edge needs Adjustment of: 4.7 moa

When the wind is coming from Right to Left
6.5mm needs adjustment of: 3.1 moa
Edge needs Adjustment of: 3.3 moa

The reason, (it puzzles me), is because the big bullet is being affected more by the spin drift.
Spin drift alone for the little bullet it moves to the right 4.9" and the big bullet 7.2"

In the time department, the big bullet gets there only 0.2 sec. slower, not bad for a big mama

WE all know who the winner is in kinetic energy all the way from 0 yards to 3000 yards... :)

At 1500 yards the little bullet will have a retained velocity of 1700 ft/sec and an energy of 902 ft-lbs.
Most will disagree with this personal opinion but I belive that because of the extremely high SD (Sectional Density)
of the 6.5mm 140 gr. bullet it's capable to take Elk at that range with a well placed shot. I know the penetration
will be more impresive than most folks will ever think.

Buttom line, if Mr. Sinner gives us a dicount after the first barrel, :) I think I'll be getting one... geargrinder, did you hear that?

And look at this... If you zero a 745 yards using the Night Force NP-R2 reticle, (2 moa spacing), using the top most line you'll be zero a 100 yards and then...

That's a long way to be shooting without making any turret adjustments... :)

745Yards-zero.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Eaglet, I read you. Your parts will arrive tomorrow. All you are lacking is a barrel.:D

Devin, when I asked for the Brux 6.5mm quote a couple weeks ago, guess who it was for?lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.