Next Sin Cartridge?

I know this is not about the 338 Sin, but I have to ask, is the 338 Sin fully developed tested and completed? or is it still in the process?

UP to this point this is pretty much what I have gathered:

Approximations of Max Loads...

185 gr TTx MV 3500 ft/sec
225 gr AB MV 3175 ft/sec
250 gr AB MV 3000 ft/sec
285 gr Hordy MV 2800 ft/sec
300 gr SMK MV 2750 ft/sec

Definitely a winner, if so, for either a carry light rifle or a heavier long range bluster! :)

I think load testing is well under way. LTLR and Devin have both been working hard at testing and gathering data. I believe we'll see more info. trickle out as summer progresses.

This round is a serious option for those of us with standard long actions....I think the additional data will bare this out. The waiting is the hard part.

Wayne

P.S.

My rifle will fit somewhere in between what you describe as a light weight carry rifle and the heavier long range bluster ( blaster ). Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some meaningful data down the road.

Last edited:
I would have to say a 270 would be sweet. The 338 fits a very unique niche because it fits a standard long action. The rest oc the calibers mentioned kind of have all the bases covered. I dont know much about 6.5's but if they shoot well at higher velocities why isnt the 264 more popular. I would think more rifle makers would offer it as a standard caliber? I dont know if its true or not but I have heard the 6.5 is more acurate a lot of times at lower velocities... I maybe way off base,
I think you would probably sell more 6.5's and 7mm's though

Monometal bullets may be the best for the super performance cartridges such as the 6.5 SIN and 264 STW. They will not come apart at high velocity and retain excellent accuracy at high velocity. They also perform well on game at high velocity without blowing apart. GS and Cutting Edge make good high bc monometal bullets in 6.5. The barnes ttsx would be a good one in that price range but the bc is lower.

This is all guessing because the SIN will be faster than my 264 STW. I can shoot the 140 Berger at 3350 fps out of my STW but others tell me that is the absolute max for the berger. The problem is hitting game at close range and the bullet blowing up. The monometal will not do that.

Eaglet I have shot the 185, 225 and 300 in the 338 SIN and those would be max velocities in my 24" barrel with powders I have tried. I am focusing on the faster burning powders for this cartridge considering my short barrel and light bullets. A guy with a longer barrel using slower burning powder than me may top what I have done. The cartridge seems to be very easy to load for and shoots very well with max loads. I have another batch of bullets loaded for testing this week and ordered a new batch of Cutting Edge bullets this morning for more testing.

6.5! 6.5! 6.5!! I've been contemplating a 6.5 ubermag of some sort the last year or so, my last idea was actually a 6.5-7mm Dakota (small world), I would love to see what a 120 Barnes TTSX would do out of a 6.5 SIN, It might only have a BC of ~.450 but MAN would it SCREAM:D

I have two 6.5 STW's and get 3600 fps with the 120 grain ttsx. Just guessing with the extra powder capacity and better design of the SIN I would think between 3700-3800 fps with the 120 grain bullets.

I have two 6.5 STW's and get 3600 fps with the 120 grain ttsx. Just guessing with the extra powder capacity and better design of the SIN I would think between 3700-3800 fps with the 120 grain bullets.

...wow.... that makes me drool... just a little :D!! I might have to plug that info into my ballistic calculator....gun)

You might want to rename it to .264 Sin Death Ray... jeeze, just thinking about that many FPS makes my wallet absolutely Cringe! :) I would probably get a nasty $$ flinch! haha

Gary

I'm always looking at the 6.5x284 and love the BC of the 140 gr. Berger. On the other side of the coin, it comes to me that barrel lasting 700 to 1000 rounds at mv's of 2950... scares me to think how long the barrel would last at perhaps 3350/3400 ft/sec with the a 140 grainer. Any ideas?

I'm always looking at the 6.5x284 and love the BC of the 140 gr. Berger. On the other side of the coin, it comes to me that barrel lasting 700 to 1000 rounds at mv's of 2950... scares me to think how long the barrel would last at perhaps 3350/3400 ft/sec with the a 140 grainer. Any ideas?

Well....I'm giving a .260 Improved a go....should have similar velocities to the 6.5-284....with less powder...and hopefully a longer barrel life.

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.