338 RUM Hunting Rifle

shooter1975

Well guys I haven't done a build in quite a while so I figured what the hell. Lately I have been waiting to build a lighter than typical weight long range hunting rifle, so I stared getting some of the parts and pieces together. Id love to keep it under 8lbs without the scope if possible. Anyway here's the build list for those who are interested.

Trued Remington Action
PTG 1 Piece Bolt (.704 O.D. / 0.62" firing pin hole, mag bolt face)
Proof Research .338 28" CF Barrel (3lb 9oz.) M24 Contour
B&C M40 Stock (I now its no the best but I had one laying around)
Custom SAS Tactical Muzzle Brake (Stainless Steel - 30 degree rear ports)
KBP Arms Recoil Lug (SS / .377 / 1.350" O.D. to match O.D. of Receiver)
Timney 512 Trigger
PTG SS BDL Bottom Metal with Wyatt Extended magazine box
BAT Machine Scope Rings (30mm)

Assembly and Trueing of Receiver will be done by AR15 Barrels (my local smith).

Close up pics of my brake.

Well I got it all trued up and put together. All that is left to do is open up the barrel channel on the stock and bed the action, then it's range time.

6.6 lbs. !!! Hope your not planning on any bench time !!! 3/4 shots and the more than average guy would be finished....... 338 rum..Lotta gun, guess the elk are wearing Kevlar vests...what a beast !!

I just weighed the barrel action with bottom metal and it came out to 6.6 lbs. :)
That is with stock I take it?You got it light.That gives you some options on scopes because many are 30+oz.Then throw in a sling and bipod.I have a like 338NM and have shot it into 6''@ 1000.Braked very easy to shoot,can spot most of my own shots at distance. Shawn C of DE just finished a light build also with good results at distance.

Well got an update. Got it back and it's all bedded and put together. I'll be getting my scope soon and off to the range. Heres some pics.

I LIKE IT!
Always wanted one of their barrels, kinda scared about slapping that much money down and it not shooting the way I want. Interested in hearing your results.

I just weighed the barrel action with bottom metal and it came out to 6.6 lbs. :)

Awesome looking gun, nice job putting it together! So it sounds like the 6.6 lbs is not including the stock ... so with the B&C stock I'm guessing the finished rifle without a scope is right around 8.5 lbs?

Really interested to follow this thread as your develop your load. I also have a relatively light weight 338 RUM. Without a scope it finished out to 7 lbs 14 ounces.

Would like to hear what scope you're going with as well as what bullet/powder you want to try.

I LIKE IT!
Always wanted one of their barrels, kinda scared about slapping that much money down and it not shooting the way I want. Interested in hearing your results.

Lol!!! I'll be the guinea pig!!

Awesome looking gun, nice job putting it together! So it sounds like the 6.6 lbs is not including the stock ... so with the B&C stock I'm guessing the finished rifle without a scope is right around 8.5 lbs?

Really interested to follow this thread as your develop your load. I also have a relatively light weight 338 RUM. Without a scope it finished out to 7 lbs 14 ounces.

Would like to hear what scope you're going with as well as what bullet/powder you want to try.

Thanks bud. Once I get my scope it's off to the range! Actually as it sits without scope it weighs in at 9.6 lbs. Not as lite as I though.

Thanks bud. Once I get my scope it's off to the range! Actually as it sits without scope it weighs in at 9.6 lbs. Not as lite as I though.

I bet you're 9 flat without the base/rings. And for a setup that looks that bad@ss, who cares how much it weighs... I want to hear how this thing shoots!

This is a 2010 build 7- 2oz bare,8-12oz. ready to roll,full dress ammo sling and Atlas 9-12oz.Rifle has proven its self on many game,338 Nm,Defiance,Lone wolf ,300 otm 2740v.Similar build, I also have a similar 9-2oz.bare, build with Lonewolf tac II stock and AI 5 rnd mag,also proven

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 338 white.jpg
    338 white.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.