338 rum rifle build?

lamiglas

I am on the verge of getting a rifle built. I am really considering a 338 edge but I am a little nervous about it being a wildcat. I have been reloading for a long time but I am not sure I know enough for this load. I was reading the issues on the recent posts regarding the problems people are having with brass etc. I want a caliber that I can reload safely without having to much trouble. Am I reading into this correctly? Is the 338 edge easy to reload for, or will I constantly have trouble with it? If so, is the 338 rum a decent alternative? is it as accurate as the edge? I realize the the edge holds more powder, is a little faster etc, but is it worth the extra trouble?

your knowledge and opinions are appreciated greatly.

Not any major trouble loading for the 338-300 ultramag other than necking up the parent 300 ultra to 338. You neck size after that anyway. A generic 338 caliber neck sizer is all I use. Hornady makes these for most all calibers. Not much difference either between it and the 338 ultra. On average maybe a hundred fps which is trivial with that much power. If you are getting a rifle built anyway I would go with the 3380300 if it were me. If you didn't want to spend that much money a good 338 ultra factory rifle would be cheaper and a good starter.

If your going to build a custom anyway why not do a 338-416 rigby and blow away the ultamag stuff by several hundred fps.

The 338 Edge is quit easy to load for.
The 338 RUM lacks NOTHING comparing the two. The extra case capacity is of little use because you don't need to push either load for accuracy or distance.
The gunsmith who built my 338 Edge built a 338 RUM just to prove that point. You would never notice the difference behind the trigger.
Take your pick. If built by a good smith, you'll be in hog heavengun)

I'm getting the parts together for a 338 edge? -338 rogue? or some variation of the 300 rum case , just stuff whatever powder/bullet Shawn or Nathan or other knowledgable gunsmith tells you and you'll be fine.
There are pretty much standard loads for the 300gr smk bullet ,i'm hoping berger comes through w/a 300gr vld should be an OK deer cartridge................

if you want a little knock down power, just go with the 338-378 Weatherby. it's a caliber they chamber their guns in and brass, dies and loaded ammo are available.

Hear's my take on this issue.

It is just a matter of choice because all of the big 338s
will do anything you want them to as Gamedog said .

So do you choose a wildcat,or a factory round that is available
with out fireforming or neck sizing up or down and is strait forward
to reload.

If you single load,the case capacity can make a little difference, but
if you load to fit the magazine the longer case may not help because
you have to sink the bullet deeper reducing powder capacity.

I built a 338 RUM on a Weatherby mk 5 because the magazine is 1/10
of an inch longer than the Remingtion an allowed the bullets to be seated
further out increasing powder capacity to that of the 300/338 in a standard
long action remingtion with the 300gr SMK.

The 338/378 is a huge case and will top all but the 338/408 and it,s a factory
round. It is expensive but still not as much as the big wildcats.

The 338 RUM is a fine,accurate cartrige and a powerfull one that is hard to
beat so the choice is up to you.

J E CUSTOM

Why not go for the edge? I started loading for the 6mm Ackley only a couple of months after teaching myself to reload, and results have been fantastic once I found the right load.

Tyler

The edge is a good choice and very easy to resize (Expand the neck to .338)

I think I would use the 375 RUM brass so I could turn the neck down after
sizing and end up with a thick neckwall.

When you size/expand a .308 neck to .338 you get some neck thinning and when
you down size a .375 to .338 you will get some thickening and this is good to
a point and when you turn the OD of a neck the main advantage is truing the
neck to the body of the case

J E CUSTOM

I have been saving for this rifle for quite some time now and the all the while have been convinced the edge was the rifle I would build. I finally have the money saved but now I cant decide between the edge or the ultra. There is no difference in the price of the build so the only real difference is the cost of the dies, which appears to be about 100 dollars. Does this sound correct, or am i missing anything? The only pro for the ulra is that it would cost 100 less (dies) and that factory brass is available. I really appreciate all the input from you guys and so far I am gathering that there is not much difference between the two. I am ready to go on this thing, can anyone sale me on the idea of one over the other?

Thanks again for your help.

The decision would depend on what your intentions are. If you are going to shoot the 300 gr bullets, the extra 100-125 fps advantage is with the 338 Edge. If you are going to shoot 200-250 gr bullets, not too much of an advantage and the 338 RUM would work very nicely.
You could also consider the 338 RUM AI. Pretty much 338 Edge performance yet you can still shoot 338 RUM factory ammo.

JD338

I use .338RUM dies for my EDGE, so you don't really have to consider the extra cost of 338-300 dies. Very easy to load for. I got the EDGE because I wanted to shoot the 300SMK and wanted the little extra horse power to push them. I'm getting a little over 2800 with GREAT accuracy.
You will not be disappointed either way.

what is a 338 RUM AI? what is the difference between it and the 338 RUM? Also in considering my choices, where does the Lapua fit in? would there be any extra costs involved with it?

I would agree that if you had the 300 smk as your choice pill then I would go the edge.

For me personally I would want the extra speed with the big pill. But then some would say you can only kill'em dead !

Very straight forward to load for and extremely accurate. My gun makes cold bore first round hits on tennis balls at around 800 yards in good conds. What more could a man ask for ?

Currently I dont know of anyone else in Australia using one and it has certainly made believers out of a few guys down here ! So much so that DE has another 3-4 getting ready to go to the land DOWN UNDER !

I have not read of anyone unhappy with the calibre. Have you ??

Good luck my friend

DUH

If you are worried about a few dollars for dies , brass or bullets I don't think you are ready for the expense of a custom rifle yet. From your questions I really think you need to do a lot more research as to what is out there before you make a bunch of dollars mistake. If a few dollars for a die or brass concerns you then you do not need to make a custom rifle mistake.

I have tons of rifles in all kinds of wildcat calibers so I don't have to be picky with what I build. But if I saved for one rifle I would know all the answers before I spent my money. First is what I planned to do with it. First is hunting or targets. If I had to do one long range hunter it would be off the 378 wby, big rigby case or similar. 416 rigby brass is cheaper than ultramag if that concerns you. The first time you sit next to me or someone with one of these and you see the difference between 300 fps you are going to want to sell your ultra and get one. Pure and simple. If you are building a target rifle I would go with the 338-300 ultramag. It is cheaper to shoot a bunch at the range all the time and velocity is not as important as how good you can shoot it.

I have at least ten 338's off the 378 or 416 rigby and there is no comparison to the 338-300 ultramag of which I have I think three remaining now. Some I have set up to shoot the 200 grain ballistic tip for hunting out to about 700 yards. Beyond that I have others set up to shoot the 300 matchking at extreme ranges. The 200 ballistic tip at 3500-3700 fps is incredible on elk size critters which is where my guns shoot this bullet. It falls flat beyond 700 yards though and that is 300 matchking country. The 338-300 ultramag will not begin to approach these velocities or do what the big boys will. That means a lot in hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.