Factory 338 Lapua carry rifle for hunting?

I just bought a Sako TRG-S 338 lapua. Took some looking around to find as they are no longer made but it was cheaper than a new savage(if you could find one in stock). I haven't weighed it yet but can soon.

Edit bare rifle weighs 7.9lbs
Yum!! Hard to beat a TRG. I passed on a Savage in .338 a couple of weeks ago. Somebody ordered and left one and was great buy if ya like them. I would have grabbed a SAKO!!

If I'm buying a 338 LM and want bang for the buck, I want a rifle that will feel as comfortable on the range as in the field. To me, that would put me into the Fierce or Christensen category. I don't have any experience with the Fierce, but they have the reputation to speak for themselves. I have a good chunk of experience with the CA ELR in 338 LM. Berger 300 EOL atop RL33 makes for a very easy to tune round that will allow you to have a good longer range target rifle that will still allow you to hunt. If I was to buy a 338 LM to be a hunting only rifle, I would probably convert it over to 300 NM on a thinner profile barrel and have slightly lower recoil. FWIW, the brake on the LRH is the most obnoxious I've ever encountered. Kid sat 3 benches away from me at the range and peppered me with about 10 rounds, once. It gave me more of a concussive headache than shooting unbraked, lightweight 300 RUMs. If you do go down that path, I would encourage a change if you have friendships that you value!

My .02…
Christensen MPR in .338 Lapua is worth every penny. I put 2 of them together one for myself and one for my brother. Topped them both with Vortex Razor HD scopes. Both guns shoot factory Hornady Precision Hunter ammo (230gr and 270gr ELDX) at 1/2 moa and I have made hand loads with the same bullets that shoot 5 bullets touching day after day. With the adjustable muzzle brake, you can spot your own impacts consistently and the recoil is minimal. (My 14 year old daughter has shot it several times and she thinks her .243 kicks harder). It is loud AF though.
My gun killed 5 elk last year in NV and 3 of the 5 were bang/flops on big bulls. The other 2 only needed 2 rounds with the average distance being 575+ yards.
This gun is very manageable in a pack, the folding stock is solid and it flat out performs in the field day after day. There are other good options out there but fully set up with bipod, mono-pod, scope & rings, you are in the neighborhood of $5500

My .02…
Christensen MPR in .338 Lapua is worth every penny. I put 2 of them together one for myself and one for my brother. Topped them both with Vortex Razor HD scopes. Both guns shoot factory Hornady Precision Hunter ammo (230gr and 270gr ELDX) at 1/2 moa and I have made hand loads with the same bullets that shoot 5 bullets touching day after day. With the adjustable muzzle brake, you can spot your own impacts consistently and the recoil is minimal. (My 14 year old daughter has shot it several times and she thinks her .243 kicks harder). It is loud AF though.
My gun killed 5 elk last year in NV and 3 of the 5 were bang/flops on big bulls. The other 2 only needed 2 rounds with the average distance being 575+ yards.
This gun is very manageable in a pack, the folding stock is solid and it flat out performs in the field day after day. There are other good options out there but fully set up with bipod, mono-pod, scope & rings, you are in the neighborhood of $5500
That's a nice looking rifle. If I did not have one already I would seriously consider it. But I only paid $1600 for a new WBY Accumark MKV

love blasers, but not an inexpensive, or economical way the go. 5k or more! i have more than one, and you can switch barrels, almost 2k each.
But if you shop around you find some great deals on extra barrels. Plus the cost of custom made jobs are making Blasers a good deal plus you get to know the platform better. I've taken my buddies 338 out to 700 yds so far and with a can on it is a nice shooting rig. We're going on a Nilgai hunt once it cools down and see what it will do at long range on those Nilgai.

I have the Remington 700 338 Lappua, about a pound heavier at 8.5 pounds topped it out with the ATACR nightforce. Did not have issue with weight on last Mule deer hunt even with the day pack. All though no deer were shot, frustration and an available 8" white rock, at 800 yards, at the conclusion of the last day, provide to be A great Trophey.

Did not mount it.
...so the rock was just camp meat?

Since you are shooting a Rem 700 I have a question. I have a Rem 700 MLR in 338 LM. I've heard they are a safety liability because of the thin ring of steel on the bolt that encircles the cartridge base. Do you or anyone on this thread have an educated opinion?

It is actually in the back of the safe because I replaced it with a 338 Norma chassis build, LPA action. So I'm looking to sell it, but didn't want to offer it if is is unsafe.

...so the rock was just camp meat?

Since you are shooting a Rem 700 I have a question. I have a Rem 700 MLR in 338 LM. I've heard they are a safety liability because of the thin ring of steel on the bolt that encircles the cartridge base. Do you or anyone on this thread have an educated opinion?

It is actually in the back of the safe because I replaced it with a 338 Norma chassis build, LPA action. So I'm looking to sell it, but didn't want to offer it if is is unsafe.
If you want to hotrod a 338 LM, there are likely better options. Having said that, I see no problem with using a 700 (or similar) for a 338 LM. I believe most would argue that a 338 on a 700 presents more problems with bolt thrust than the thickness of the bolt ring. Even if the bolt ring fails, you still have the barrel itself and the action (hence the Remington marketing of 3 rings of steel).

But if you shop around you find some great deals on extra barrels. Plus the cost of custom made jobs are making Blasers a good deal plus you get to know the platform better. I've taken my buddies 338 out to 700 yds so far and with a can on it is a nice shooting rig. We're going on a Nilgai hunt once it cools down and see what it will do at long range on those Nilgai.
hey javman. see my post on blaser 416 rum. dont think i dont like them, i am lucky to have an r93, 2 r8's with a 3rd not qiute paid for, and a 470 NE DOUBLE. i just know many cant do it, when you can do a savage. 2k with scope.

+1 for the weatherby accumark. This is the first load that I tried with this rifle...no barrel break in, it feels good in your hands and looks good too.
20220603_192752.jpg
20220603_192952.jpg

Love my Christensen MPR with a Leupold MK5 3.8-18. Easy to carry all around elk country. Loaded with a 210gr Swift Scirocco at 3050 fps it will reach out and touch them!!
I'm going to put together a 338 Rum or 338 Edge with one of these stocks !
I really like the feel of it !

Rum Man

Here's a couple pictures of my Fierce Edge 338 Lapua carry style rifle. Has a Kahles 5-25 FFP MOAK scope on it with 20 MOA base; first generation Fierce Edge rifle. Shoots 4" groups average at 1,000 yards with Gunwerks factory 285 grain ammo muzzle velocity 2,825 fps.

Attachments

• 45BE62ED-7FB5-496B-A8B3-453DA333603B.png
    45BE62ED-7FB5-496B-A8B3-453DA333603B.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 94C41527-950C-4746-9F47-22C54F4D4B1E.png
    94C41527-950C-4746-9F47-22C54F4D4B1E.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 51
Here's a couple pictures of my Fierce Edge 338 Lapua carry style rifle. Has a Kahles 5-25 FFP MOAK scope on it with 20 MOA base; first generation Fierce Edge rifle. Shoots 4" groups average at 1,000 yards with Gunwerks factory 285 grain ammo muzzle velocity 2,825 fps.
Real nice!

Recent Posts